Don Demands Carnal Knowledge

A retired Oxford University lecturer wants to see sex education focused on the practicalities of how to be a good lover, according to an article in the latest issue of the journal ‘Sex Education’. The ‘erotic education’ proposed by John Wilson proposes using visual techniques like videos to provide practical examples of “desirable sexual encounters” – not, he hastens to add, in an attempt to titillate but to provide an alternative to the pornographic films that the current gap is filled with. Simon Blake of the National Children’s Bureau applauds the principle of approaching sex education from a ‘biological way’ but is less enthusiastic about Wilson’s choice of terminology on the grounds that “some teachers would be horrified”. The suggestion adds to the controversy surrounding the government’s policy for tackling Britain’s high rate of teenage pregnancies. Schemes that use teachers specifically trained to answer questions about oral and anal sex, have been labelled as “harebrained”, despite their efforts to tackle soaring underage sex figures. The recent proposal of providing free condoms and advice to schoolchildren was described by one MP as an attempt to “curb burglary by handing jemmies”.
ARCHIVE: 3rd Week TT 2003