Peters Shock Victory

Corpus Christi 24 all out St Peters 28-1 One would not have been wrong to think that a match in the second round of cuppers between last year’s runners up and a third division side would be no contest, but a dazzling display by Blues captain Jamie Dalrymple turned this tie on its head. The late appearance of much of the Peters team all but confirmed the belief in the Corpus camp that they would be giving the villagers a lesson in cricket. However, ten minutes later, Peter’s star man Mr. Dalrymple arrived. St. Peter’s elected to field first, despite having only nine players ready and only one of their usual opening bowlers. Alexis White bowled consistently on the spot at a difficult length for the batsmen letting the wicket throw up its many surprises. Unfortunately for the Corpus batsmen, the late arrival of the other opening bowler allowed Dalrymple to have some fun with the wicket as well and a rapid succession of magic tricks ensued. Despite some brave batting from the lower order who were eager to get at least double figures on the board, Corpus were bowled out for 24 with Dalrymple finishing his spell with 7 wickets for 4 runs. Corpus were eager to utilise the lively wicket and the teams switched round without a break. However, with the confidence now in the Peter’s camp, the opening batsmen dealt with decent bowling and an unpredictable wicket marvellously well considering the lower standard of bowling in their division. Alan Eddington played some good looking shots with great technical ability and Jules Neave seemed eager to go and finish his essay as he scored every single run of his with a boundary. Neave’s failed attempt to finish the match with a six fittingly brought on Dalrymple who won the match with two fours in two balls. Everyone learnt from Dalrymple’s example in tactical thinking and athleticism. St. Peter’s were lucky to profit not only from his undoubted physical ability but also his ability to read the game and intelligent field management, as those who were not clean bowled were caught by a purposely placed fielder. The game had indeed been a lesson in cricket.
ARCHIVE: 4th week TT 2003