Entrance tests feared

Plans for admissions tests to scoop the cream of Oxford applicants have sparked fears that students from non-traditional backgrounds will be deterred. With growing numbers of students attaining perfect A-level scores, a new entrance exam (the BMAT) has been introduced for prospective medical students. The admissions department has revealed that Oxford is also likely to introduce entrance tests for Law and other ‘popular’ subjects such as History. It is feared that tests would favour students from schools with a tradition of attending Oxbridge and that richer students could be coached. But with nearly 1000 applicants for 150 places, the University has argued that there is no other way of differentiating between medical candidates. Jane Minto, Admissions Director, said “The current process is not enough. A lot of people who apply are enormously well qualified; it is not possible to differentiate between academic achievements.” Oxford Admissions Coordinator, Dr William James, also defended the decision, saying, “If we took the test results and GCSE grades we could identify that half the applicants had no chance. It would be a kindness not to bring them to Oxford for three days.” But OUSU President Helena Puig Larrauri expressed doubts over the scheme. “The BMAT has a lot of problems,” she said. ’Students in schools without an Oxford tradition will be disadvantaged. It also has a fee, which many students may not realise. This is also a matter of image – we should be working to widen access.”ARCHIVE: 0th Week MT2003