Norrington: no change at the top

Merton fought off competitors and retained its position as Oxford’s topranking college in the Norrington Table. Matching its 2002 score, it sailed ahead to claim the top spot for the second year running. Wadham was the surprise ranking of the year, in second place,whilst traditional rivals Balliol and St John’s tied in fifth and sixth places. St. Anne’s did not match Merton’s consistency, losing its place in last year’s top six to claim tenth place. St. Catherine’s shared a similar fate, plummeting from fourth to fifteenth. Lady Margaret Hall remained at the bottom of the table. The publication of the table raised the inevitable debate over the link between results and college wealth. This year’s top six includes St. John’s, one of the wealthiest colleges in Oxford, as well as the famously rich Magdalen. Wadham defied this trend, being one of Oxford’s poorer colleges. Warden John Flemming attributed this year’s ranking to the College’s willingness to accept a wide range of students, many of whom are highly motivated. He said “Competition is a motivating force for people in the University.” However, dons repeated their criticisms that the table was not an accurate college guide. The University refuses to publish its own table.ARCHIVE: 0th Week MT2003