Oxford plan to net further success

BLUES BASKETBALL With four consecutive appearances in the BUSA final and a record fourteen straight Varsity match wins, there is a lot of pressure on the Men’s Blues going into the 2003-2004 season. This impressive record has made the Blues Oxford’s most successful team and, as a result, the annual Varsity match between Oxford and Cambridge is one of the highlights of the sporting calendar. In addition, the Women’s Blues won the BUSA Shield, recording only one loss during the regular season. The Men’s Seconds likewise had an extremely successful 2002-2003 season. Highlights included winning the BUSA Trophy competition and an emphatic Varsity match win despite Cambridge having home court advantage. With the departure of many key players, notably Sexton and Henderson, the Blues will be relying on a lot of new faces this season. Nevertheless, Blues Captain Graham Ewen is confident that, with players like Gomes, Card and ex-Shropshire Warriors star Dan Woodbridge, the Blues will have another successful year. They will be taking on old adversaries in the BUSA Premier League but by far their toughest test will come against reigning champions St Mark and St John. The rivalry between these two teams is as strong as ever, having met in the final for the last two seasons. Their first encounter of the new campaign will be on 29 October when the Blues travel down to Plymouth to face the Marjons once again. This is a big year for me and OUBBC. Judging by the talent on display at the trials, a fifteenth Varsity win and a place in the final eight appear once again to be imminent.ARCHIVE: 1st Week MT2003