Varsity future in safe hands

Blues Rugby captain John Allen surveyed the past term and declared “This was the year to become more expansive”. The MMC Trophy may have narrowly eluded Allen’s squad, but the Australian pronounced Michaelmas a resounding success and sees an exciting future for Oxford rugby at a time when the sport needs to capitalise on its increasing profile.

Allen believes that the draw at Twickenham, in which the Blues outshone Cambridge with their handling but ran up against a dogged defence, may have pointed the way towards an era of open, entertaining Varsity rugby. “This season we implemented a new attacking style, which broke with trend. All of the players bought into that, and it’s a style which suits the players and resources which we have. There is a real belief in the club that to be successful you need to be expansive”.

The aftermath of the Twickenham encounter saw the Light Blues criticised in some quarters for their early-kicking, defensive approach. Allen was quick to point out that Oxford’s opponents had not enjoyed the ideal preparation: “They were disrupted early in the season with injuries and had to make the best of what they had, and that’s what they did. Hopefully the Varsity match will evolve so that both teams throw the ball around, but with desire to win. It’s vital that the public see an entertaining spectacle”.

The Blues’ flowing, technical brand of rugby was not confined merely to the Varsity match. Victories over London Irish and Bath served as evidence of the team’s ability. Allen was delighted with the side’s build-up and saw the pre-season tour of Argentina as a time at which many things began to fall together. “We learned a lot. Our set-pieces and lineouts were strong and dominant and this carried on into the term. Our scrum was outstanding and took that form all the way into the Varsity”. 

Allen’s optimism for the future was especially evident when he cast his eye over the Under 21 side, who defeated their Cambridge counterparts by adhering to exactly the style that is rapidly becoming the culture within the club as a whole. “There are many who can make the step up. They have been playing an open brand of rugby for some time and there is a lot of great potential there”.

Some of the younger players should get the chance to stake their claim this term, in a fixture list which includes matches scheduled against the Army, RAF and Navy as well as sides from Ireland, Japan and South Africa.

As the Blues look to build upon the rapid strides which proved evident at Twickenham, their progress should be well worth following as rugby continues to make an unprecedented impact in the national headlines following England’s World Cup victory.

Archive: 0th week HT 2004