Dark Blues rule the court

Oxford 12.5Cambridge 8.5The Oxford Men’s Blues Tennis Team finished off a successful year in style as they won a closely fought Varsity Match on the famous grass courts of The Queen’s Club in London.After victories over Nottingham University, The Queen’s Club and the prestigious All England Lawn Tennis Club, as well as reaching the semi-finals of the BUSA knockout tournament, expectations were high ahead of the yearly clash with the light blue enemy. And despite succumbing to defeat just once all season Oxford had to work hard to claim their first taste of Varsity glory for 3 years.Mark Carpenter set the theme of the two-day event with a closely fought 7-6, 7-6 victory over Cambridge’s leading singles player Paddy May. May was unbeaten in five matches in last year’s Varsity contest and Carpenter had to produce some of his best matchplay tennis to unsettle his opponent and edge out two tie-breaks. Carpenter looked to have let a major chance slip when he was broken when serving for the match at 5-4 but he held out magnificently for victory.With the Tabs’ trump card defeated Oxford must have thought their 21st victory out of 22 was going to be easier than expected. At the end of the first day, however, Cambridge, aided by the sort of weather so associated with British tennis, and courtesy of some gutsy tennis, were level at 5-5.Oxford’s no.4, William Partlett, this year making his 4th appearance in the Varsity Match, lost out to Cambridge’s no.3 in three sets, though James Spooner, Oxford’s no.6, continued Carpenter’s early good work and dispatched Cambridge’s no.5 in straight sets to put Oxford up 2-1 after the first round of singles. Despite a further singles victory the postponement of two of the day’s doubles matches meant Cambridge were able to level the match at 5-5 with it all to play for on day two.The postponed doubles matches came first and brought a restoration of Oxford’s two leg lead, as well the knowledge they were now just four games away from victory. Particularly impressive was the Oxford no.1 pairing of Raddant/Spooner who beat the useful Cambridge no.2 pair in straight sets 7-5, 6-1.Carpenter continued Oxford’s dominance with yet another tie-break win over Cambridge’s powerful no.2. Spooner then out-classed his Cambridge counterpart at no. 6 singles. William Partlett, however, could not get the better of Cambridge’s Captain Paul Riley in a tense match which ended in Riley’s favour 7-5, 6-4. With the second round of singles it seemed Oxford’s slender lead was under threat. The Oxford no. 1 singles player Phil Raddant was making hard work out of his encounter with Paddy May and dropped the first set 6-4. But Raddant fought back to take the second set comfortably. Raddant’s class now began to tell and by taking the third set 6-2, he had put Oxford within one match of the winning post. With the tension mounting, Oxford’s players surrounded Dorr’s matchcourt sensing a victory would make Oxford’s tally unassailable and the victory complete. Two tie-breaks later and Dorr was submerged beneath a jubilant dark-blue horde. Nearly 124 years after their first victory in varsity tennis they had tasted success again. Captain Paul Gulliver was understandably jubilant, stating “Every one of these guys have played their hearts out this week. I am so proud of the way the guys have performed I’m so glad we’ve come out on top. We now have a great platform to work from to go and do it again next year!” Certainly after a lengthy wait without a win against Cambridge the tables have turned and it is now the light blues who are facing the prolonged domination of their improving opponents.Unfortunately, Oxford’s women tennis players were less successful, losing out 17-4 to Cambridge.ARCHIVE: Oth week MT 2005