England’s asset is continuity against an unsettled Pakistan

Michael Vaughan’s men have arrived in Pakistan for the first leg of their subcontinental tour, relying on their established backbone in the pursuit of a seventh consecutive series victory. Pakistan is a testing destination. A role call of retiring talent includes Wasim Akram, Waquar Younis and Saeed Aanwar. Not only does the current crop lack a talisman of Wasim or Waquar’s proportions, but also the frustrating blend of world class and schoolboy cricket that has always infuriated Pakistan supporters continues to undermine progress.In the absence of genuine world beaters, Captain Inzamam-ul-Haq recognises that each one of his men must stand up and be counted: “Aall eleven have to contribute; one or two players will not be able to swing it for us.” But the identity of his team remains uncertain. England have the established pairings of Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Strauss and Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard, both of which have been proven in the Test arena. Pakistan have tried six different opening batsmen and eight different opening bowlers in the last four years. Woolmer may revert to the combination of Imran Farhat and Yasir Hameed at the top of the order but the bowling attack is proving more problematic. Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammed Sami have usually been first choice and no one questions their capacity for extreme pace and hostility, but neither seems to be able to stay fit for a sustained period, to the coach’s increasing irritation. Woolmer is thought to have issued an ultimatum to Shoaib; if he doesn’t knuckle down and regain fitness, he won’t feature. If they fail to shape up, the leading candidates are Shabbir Ahmed, a 6ft 5in pace bowler with an action newly cleared by the ICC, and Nnaved-ul-Hasan, whose reverse swing Sussex fans enjoyed last season. As if this were not enough, there is also a uncertainty surrounding the identity of the fifth bowler, to back up the openers and second string of Abdur Rrassaq and Danish Kaneria; Shoaib Malik and Shahid Aafridi are spinners who can bat and, although Mushtaqu Aahmed has been called up for a practice match, Malik and are ahead in the pecking order.The embryonic nature of their team and relative disorganisation has contributed to Pakistan’s failure to win any of their last five Test series, a statistic only emphasised when contrasted with new found success. Eever the diplomat, Michael Vaughan insists that “Pakistan are a dangerous team and it will be a tough test”. His appraisal may be correct, if conservative. Bob Woolmer’s pre-series rhetoric, in contrast, is provocative, and even hints at sour grapes from a man who turned down Dduncan Fletcher’s job six years ago: “The series was wonderful. I wouldn’t say England were the better side, but they prevented Australia from playing well”. Its present disarray suggests Woolmer was not too busy trying to whip his team into shape to pay careful attention to summer dominance, but he continues: “I want to see whether Kevin Pieterson can handle the limelight.” If his own house were in perfect order, then Woolmer could justify baiting, but it emphatically is not.If can acclimatise to the subcontinental wickets, while Pakistan’s players are still getting to know each other, the series will be a triumph of continuity over change.Eengland’s lauded Aashes heroes will be confronted by the unfamiliar at every turn, not least because they have not faced a Pakistan Test team since 2001, but consistent selection and team spirit should provide a measure of confidence in extremis.In stark contrast, hosts have endured inconsistency to match their local climate since the teams last met.ARCHIVE: 4th week MT 2005