First Night Review: Up the Republic!

Up The Republic! is a piece of new writing about a Communist mayor in a Parisian suburb who embezzles town money meant for fireworks, gets exposed by his ex-wife, and goes up against her in the election by petitioning for the Muslim vote.   Very much out of the ordinary of Oxford drama (and particularly new writing), it is a farce written predominantly in rhyming couplets. Nick Bishop as the mayor is splendid and the rest of the cast support him admirably. Bishop’s performance was hilarious, with comic and constantly adapting facial expressions and perfect delivery of the farcical lines. His timing is spot on and in many ways this is a showcase for Bishop’s comic talent.

Sophie Siem is very comfortable opposite Bishop as his assistant, and some of the most comic moments in the play occur between them, especially a wonderful scene about political correctness. The Ex-Wife was played by  Harry Creelman who came, fresh from the wonderful world of Six Characters in Search of an Author, equipped with cleavage and leather trousers and gave a coherent and amusing performance.   

What most impresses is the quality of the writing. Max Mcguinness has a wonderful talent for using the couplet to great comic effect; obscenity, irony, sarcasm and wit are all deployed through the use of a highly varied verse form, which Mcguinness is clearly able to use extensively and effectively. None of the lines sound awkward and most are very funny. The issues dealt with concern the place of Communism in modern France, but it is more than just anti-Communist binge. The play mocks political correctness, corruption and honesty, makes use of sexual humour, and the rise of the Right with the sinking of the Left and the horseshoe relationship between them. As the poster says, Fireworks, Fascism and Leather Pants.

There is little to say about this play other than that it is remarkably well written and wonderfully acted – a top show indeed. Book your ticket now. 
Henry Oliver