1) Sinister left-handed gene found. Scientists working in Oxford’s Wellcome Trust Centre for Genetics believe carrying the gene may slightly raise the risk of developing psychotic mental illness such as schizophrenia…but may improve sporting ability. A fair exchange? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6923577.stm
2) Deep brain stimulation brings man back from coma. Previously doomed to a vegetative existence for the rest of his life, DBS has allowed this patient to feed himself, talk, express emotion, and recognise visitors. DBS is a relatively new technique which have already yielded some miraculous results in treating CNS disorders such as Parkinson’s disease.
3) A Virgin Birth in Korea – shamed Korean scientist made groundbreaking discovery – without realising it. Analysis of data has revealed he may have created stem cells from unfertilised human eggs – a human ‘virgin birth’ – which will have profound implications for stem cell research worldwide. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6929203.stm
4) Mission to Mars: NASA launches a 9 month mission to Mars to search for life beneath the surface. Read a blog by one of the team members here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6914836.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6926880.stm
5) Groove on down to the sounds of the Big Bang. Jodrell bank is celebrating its 50th birthday and is planning to turn the sounds of the Big Bang into a backing track for the physics party of the century. Get your glad rags and white coats on.
Cherwell24 is not responsible for the external content of these links