Oxford tops University league tables

Oxford has come top of a list of UK universities in an annual study carried out byThe Guardian and Campus Pi, an applied research department at Brunel University.
This is the first time that the study includes a comprehensive list of fees, bursaries and scholarships on offer in universities, included in anticipation of the introduction of tuition fees in 2006. As well as these it assesses the teaching quality, staff to student ratios, graduate job opportunities, entry requirements and ‘value added’ to students. It also takes into account prospects for students from ethnic minorities and with disabilities.
Oxford received 84.08 out of a possible 100 marks, compared to Cambridge’s score of 83.10.
The Guardian also published lists to show which universities are best for certain subjects. Here, as in the general study, Oxbridge and the London universities took a prominent position.
An Oxford spokesperson commented, “[The University’s] position at the top ofThe Guardian’s ranking is a tribute to the high standard, hard work and powerful performance of staff and students across the University and Colleges.”
Top Five Ranking Universities |1|Oxford|2|Cambridge|3|Imperial College|4|School of Oriental and African Studies|5|London School of EconomicsARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005