Keble student dies on college ski trip

Keble finalist lost his way coming from from nightclub and died of hypothermiaBy Billy KenberA Keble student hasdied of hypothermia while on a college ski trip in France. Jon Hard, a 21-year-old PPE finalist became disorientated while returning from a night out on December 16th in the French ski resort of St Sorlin d’Arves. Leaving a late-night party without a coat he became lost and later collapsed from the cold. He was still alive when he was discovered the following morning but attempted resuscitation failed to save him.Jon’s father, David, told The Times what happened at the end of the ‘Rubik’s Cube’ party. “It came to an end at about 1am. He went back to the chalet and didn’t pick up his coat. He had obviously had a fair bit to drink, but he’s done it before. He didn’t have to be terribly drunk to do that. But he headed back in the wrong direction. “I’ve no idea what he was wearing. Knowing Jon, just a sweatshirt. He collapsed and cold overcame him. It was only when he didn’t turn up for skiing the next morning that he was missed.” Jon’s brother, Tim Hard, warned others of the dangers of cold weather. He said, “Speaking to some Swiss and Swedish friends, it is quite common for a very cold environment to confuse people quickly due to sheer ‘body shock’, with or without alcohol.” At the time of his death Jon Hard was on the Keble College ski trip with around 100 other students. The students had left Britain in coaches on December 14th and the ‘Rubik’s Cube’ party was intended to mark the first night of the week-long trip. After the tragedy a number of students returned home early. The ski trip committee have donated £100 from the trip’s budget to a charity fund-raising website set up in his memory. Keble is to hold a college memorial service of January 15th while many students attended Jon’s funeral at Leamington Spa on January 7th. Friends described the finalist as an “immensely popular and wellliked student at both school and university.” Dan Dimson, a fellow Keble third-year said, “This tragic accident couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy or a closer friend. Jon had many admirable qualities. To name but a few, I will remember fondly his smile, humour, caring nature, sensitivity, thoughtfulness, loyalty, compassion and his ability to listen. Jon will be missed by all, and will not be forgotten. Rest in peace.” Other students were made aware of Hard’s death in an email from the warden, Averil Cameron. Cameron wrote, “I am very sorry indeed to have to tell you of the tragic death of Jonathan Hard (3rd year PPE) while on the college ski trip. “We are all shocked and distressed by this very sad news and our thoughts and deepest sympathy are with Jon’s family and friends”, she added. John Maher, Keble JCR President, said, “Jon’s death is a tragedy that has shocked and saddened our college. He was a warm, friendly and well liked presence around Keble and will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this hard time.” Jon had rowed for Keble and represented the university in this year’sBritish Universities Karting Cham pionship. He was educated at Warwick School and lived with his parents in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. He had hoped to continue his studies after Oxford in the US. Friends listed his interests as including skiing, go-karting, rugby, kickboxing, fishing and gliding. A Facebook group set up in memory of Jon Hard has attracted more than 500 members. Friends called the student “One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met” while another said, “He was the kind of guy that everyone aspires to be like and was and will always be spoken highly of.” Jon’s parents have asked that anyone planning on buying flowers instead donate to his favourite charity, Mary’s Meals, which feeds children in the developing world. Those wishing to donate can do so by going to www.justgiving.co.uk/jonhard. Mr and Mrs Hard have promised to match all donations, up to a maximum of £6,000.