Film: Things We Lost in the Fire

4/51 February
Just to be clear: this is not a film for everybody. It’s not sensational, it’s not cult, it probably won’t be a box office smash. Watching it through cynical eyes could make the story line a little too soppy, the dialogue somewhat clichéd, the idea of the fortunate helping the not-so-fortunate redundant, and the tale of the recovering drug addict outdated. Del Toro is playing his favourite type-cast loser, and no-one likes films about families these days anyway. Plus, Halle Berry has never really done it for me.
All that aside, this is a poignant and subtly moving film about coping with the loss, the love and the legacy the dead leave behind them. When Brian (David Duchovny) dies a “hero, in a twisted fucked up way”, he leaves behind two children, his wife Audrey (Halle Berry) and his best friend Jerry (Benicio Del Toro); together, they must find a way to live in the space he left behind. It’s a film about human strength, the power of compassion, the reality of addiction, and R2-D2. The photography is sensitive and detailed; the camera pushes up close and personal, giving the feel of a hand held camcorder at a wedding, trying to get through people’s eyes into their innermost thoughts and emotions. The tiniest details are lovingly made crucial; volumes are said with the slightest movement. The dialogue is simple and honest, whimsical and raw. The support cast is warm, vibrant and loveable. And finally, Del Toro’s performance is pure genius; subtle, utterly naturalistic and completely believable as the recovering drug addict fallen by the way.
Things We Lost in the Fire is understated and touching, holding a powerful message about human survival, and offering hope for life renewed through compassion and togetherness. It may not be particularly fast or furious. But as Jerry would say: “accept the good”… and go see it. by Rowan Tinca Parkes