Update: Woman Raped in Cowley

A 19-year-old woman was sexually attacked in Cowley on Sunday while making her way home alone. At about half-past eight the victim, who is not believed to be a student, was walking along Between Towns Road when a man grabbed her and took her into a nearby park.After the attack, the man forced the woman to a nearby cash point and forced her to withdraw cash. She was able to alert the door staff of the William Morris pub, who then called the police, but the attacker escaped before police arrived.According to police, the offender was wearing a dark jumper with multi-coloured horizontal stripes and a baseball cap at the time of the attack. He is also said to have been riding a silver bicycle.Police have arrested a 16-year-old man on suspicion of rape and robbery, who is currently in police custody.Detective Sergeant Russell Simpson, who is handling the case, said, “We are keen to speak to anyone who saw or heard anything. If you have any information, no matter how insignificant you may think it is, please contact me.”Police describe the woman as having been left “extremely shaken” by the incident.Detective Simpson also made a special appeal to key witnesses. He said, "There were two, young Asian men near the park at the time that saw the silver bike on the pavement. They may have information to help the police with their enquiries and I urge them to come forward. There was also a man, aged in his sixties who was outside the kebab shop who may have seen the offender cycle away and I would appeal to him to contact the police.”The incident comes only two weeks after the apparently unrelated attack on an Oxford student on Marston Road.Louise Randall, OUSU Welfare Officer urged students to stay safe at night. She said, “This horrible attack should be a reminder to students to take extra care of their personal safety at night.“While Oxford is generally a safe city for students, it is very concerning that an attack such as this should have occurred. In light of this incident we are reminding students to look after themselves and each other by being vigilant and taking all necessary precautions.”Randall recommended that students never walk home alone and that they make use of the OUSU Safety Bus when travelling late at night. She also suggested that students should consider carrying rape alarms, which are available from OUSU from as little as £1.60 and free from some college welfare executives.The OUSU Safety Bus is a service provided in conjunction with Oxford Brookes Students' Union and is intended to ensure that students are able to get home safely. It will pick students up from any location within the Oxford Ring road and take them home for a donation of £1. The University chose not to comment on the individual incident but said they would urge any student who needs support in the aftermath of a crime or another traumatic experience to use Oxford's welfare support system at college, University or OUSU level.Any witnesses should contact Det Sgt Russell Simpson via 0845 8 505 505. If you do not wish to speak to police or give your name you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Information on student safety is available in the Proctors' handbook.For the Safety Bus ring 07714 445 050 between 9pm and 3am Monday – Saturday and 9pm – 1am on Sunday.
by Nadya Thorman