JCR presidential candidate fined

A candidate for the Christ Church JCR Presidency has been reprimanded by police while carrying out a ‘traditional’ theft from another college.

On Sunday evening, David James was given an on-the-spot £80 Penalty Notice Order and taken to the police station after successfully stealing a bench from Brasenose College.

He was caught after a Brasenose porter apprehended the Brasenose student who had let James in, and contacted the police.
The incident was reported at 9.25pm, by which time James had been seen “out of breath” back in Christ Church.

A spokesperson for Thames Valley Police said, “Police were called at 9.25pm on Sunday 18 May following reports that a man had stolen a bench from Brasenose College. He was located and issued an £80 Fixed Penalty Notice for Disorder.”

It is claimed that the incentive for the theft was an “old tradition” that to be eligible for the Christ Church JCR Presidency, you need to steal something from another college.

The Dean of Christ Church, The Very Reverend Christopher Lewis, described the event as a “stupid prank.” He said that it was “foolish, but not quite a hanging offence” and added that the event had been dealt with.

A second year at Christ Church, who wished to remain anonymous, commented on the events. He said, “I think the whole event is unfortunate, as it perpetuates the view of Christ Church as a bunch of arrogant tossers in the eyes of the University.”

Rival candidate, Alan Rimmer, also commented. He said, “The current JCR President set both candidates the task of bringing back within half an hour something from another college.

“David’s was a rather impressive effort, though whilst the introduction of Brasenose’s garden furniture into the JCR and David’s subsequent departure to the Police station did much to liven up the meeting, I’m sure he’d agree with me that the contest will be won on more substantial matters.”

Following his return and Penalty Notice, David James then proceeded to participate in hustings, which had been delayed for him, and made jokes about the incident in his speech. However, he refused to comment on the event to us.

Before the elections were held, an anonymous voter at Christ Church said, “The senior tutors are definitely concerned about what happened.

“It raises the question of whether he should be allowed to run or not. I think [this event] may go in the other candidate’s favour as it delayed hustings and generally hasn’t done him [David James] any favours.”

The current JCR President Laura Ellis refused to comment on the issue.

Hustings closed on Thursday at 8pm. Results will be released later today.