Review: An Englishman Abroad

‘He was English, he was upper-class, and he was drunk’: director Alev Scott’s production promises forty minutes of relentlessly dry, wry and witty observations of the English upper-classes.

A meeting is imagined between Guy Burgess – the infamous member of the ‘Cambridge Five’ – and Coral Browne – actress and socialite. Bennett’s script is soaked with social paradox, criticism and hilarity. Exiled to Moscow at the end of his life, Burgess is plagued by alcoholism and regret.

Browne becomes his link to London high-society. Alice Glover’s realisation of the character is utterly superb. She fluctuates between beautiful soliloquising, which draws a contested line between theatre and life, and a quick wit which undermines English and Russian society in turn – ‘If this is Communism, I don’t like it. It’s dull.’ She is the highlight of this production.

Tom Richards’ Burgess is the epitome of Englishness. With a voice as rich and robust as good port, his languid movement and relentless joviality finely captures his background – yet watching Hamlet, he admits that he did fall asleep. ‘Englishness’ is effectively mocked and celebrated.

It is only lamentable that such a performance comes at the expense of enough focus upon Burgess’ character. The ambiguity of his relationship with a young, male, Russian ballet dancer – ‘Am I a reward or a punishment?’ – was awkward and reluctant, whilst Frankie Parham, playing the lover, bordered dangerously on crude parody rather than subtle satire.

Several opportunities for affective realisation of Bennett’s dark social commentary upon the post-Cold War state were lost under the inanity of socialite dialogue. Yet the image of Browne taking Burgess’ suit measurements, his arms outstretched – a crucified martyr to his love for ‘Englishness’ – is particularly touching.

Four stars