Student’s attackers appear in court

Two teenagers suspected of bludgeoning an Oxford University student appeared in court today.

Kentaro Ikeda, a postgraduate at St Edmund’s Hall, was still in a critical condition this morning, after being bludgeoned over the head during the brutal robbery.

The 26-year-old was later discovered by passers-by, lying unconscious in a pool of his own blood on a deserted cycle path.

Craig Knowles, of Oxford Road, and Thomas Mack, of Nicholas Road, – both 18-year-olds from Marston – are alleged to have carried out the vicious assault, which left the Japanese student with a fractured skull and a risk of brain damage.

Both men appeared at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Monday morning to answer charges of robbery and grievous bodily harm with intent to endanger life.

The pair were remanded in custody following the short hearing and are next due to appear at Oxford Crown Court on August 11th.

Meanwhile, Kentaro’s mother was at her son’s bedside in John Radcliffe Hospital, having flown from their home on the Japanese island of Fukushima to be with him.

He was found in the early hours of Thursday morning on a cycle track between Ferry Road and the University Parks.

Police cordoned off the area for days whilst forensic investigators combed the scene and surrounding area for clues.

A rucksack linked by detectives to the brutal assault was later discovered in nearby Rippington Drive, Marston.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said that officers believe it was taken from Kentaro during the attack, in which his grey and black bicycle and cycle bag were also stolen.

He also revealed that officers had discovered the weapon believed to have been used to batter Kentaro over the head.

The spokesman refused however to reveal the nature of the weapon itself.

The victim has lived in Oxford since November last year, when he began studying for his Masters degree at St Edmund College.