Belle and Sebastian: The BBC Sessions

It would be fair to say that live albums either work or they don’t. Generally they don’t. They can frequently end up as self-indulgent, commercially-orientated attempts to capture the minds and money of a dedicated few; the sub-standard live offerings of Bowie and Led Zeppelin spring readily to mind.

Of course, Belle & Sebastian are not just any old band. For a start they are purportedly Scotland’s greatest – they were named as such in ‘The List’ magazine, yet have reached semi-cult status without sacrificing their distinctive baroque-pop sound for commercial success. And regardless, this is not just any old live album.

Taken from BBC sessions spanning a twelve-year career, this is effectively a greatest hits album without the commercial intent and with much more interest for new and old fans alike, with new tracks and surprising takes on old favourites. The opener, “The State I Am In,” is taken from their debut and introduces Murdoch’s tender lilting voice that fires through unexpectedly cutting lyrics. And that’s just for starters.

Experimenting in spoken word, the laid back “Shoot the Sexual Athlete” is one of four previously unreleased tracks that add another layer of intrigue to the harmonies that characterises all B & S work.

The alternative version of ‘Lazy Line Painter Jane’ is a more subdued and less polished offering than the previously released track, but even more personal, the recording sound quality dragging the listener into their beautiful world.

Elsewhere, Isobel Campbell’s haunting vocals on “Nothing in the Silence” seem a fitting way to mark her exit from the band in 2001.

The entire record is one of harmony, the intimate sound of the sessions stripping back songs that offers an opportunity to appreciate what Belle & Sebastian do best – write fantastic songs and play them magically.

Four stars