Feisty Hall halt Pembroke

This is a game that Pembroke should have won and they were visibly the better side for much of the match. However, Teddy Hall proved that they should never be written off and produced an outstanding second half performance to set up a thrilling climax to the event. This was college rugby at its finest, though slightly marred by the high penalty count, as both teams demonstrated the passion and skill that separates the first division form the lower leagues.

From the kickoff an early handling error from Hall set up a scrum centre field, but the Hall pack established their scrummaging credentials by winning possession against the head and were rewarded by the fist penalty of the afternoon, which fullback Will Stephens kicked to give Hall an early lead.

Pembroke were undaunted however and both sides threw themselves into the match scrapping for every ball. The breakdown proved problematic, particularly for Hall who were repeatedly penalised for not staying on their feet, clearly struggling to come to terms with the new regulations. Both sides played the territory game, frequently kicking to the corners but strong lineout performances from both packs limited the amount of quick ball available for the backs. Pembroke began to string the phases together, their backline firing far more effectively than Hall’s with inside centre Joe Thornton making some powerful runs. The scrum proved its worth in this game, both in attack and defence, the quality of scrummaging reflecting the abilities of both packs.

Pembroke were clearly in control as the half progressed and camped in the Hall half only heroic defence prevented them from scoring several times. What’s more, Pembroke seemed to be getting under their opposition’s skin as tempers flared and Hall gave away another penalty for going over the top in the ruck just inside their own half, and surprisingly outside centre Tim Horrocks opted to go for the posts producing a sublime kick to finally give Pembroke their first score. Hall compounded their problems when a player was sin-binned for yet another ruck infringement, Horrocks stepping up for another long range attempt which fell agonisingly short.

Hall had a chance to clear their lines from the 22 drop-out but a player was outside the 22 when the ball was kicked which saw them defending a scrum back from where the ball was kicked. This silly error cost them dear as with a man down the pressure from Pembroke finally told, Thorton linking well with fullback Etiene Ekpo-Utip who danced through the Hall defence to score the first try of the match. As the half time whistle blew all the momentum was with Pembroke as the fight seemed to be fading in Hall.

However, someone found the right words at half time and Teddy Hall made it clear they were not beaten from the restart, immediately forcing a Pembroke error to set up a scrum in the opposition’s half and only poor hands in the backline prevented them scoring. Hall had calmed down over half time, and were conceding fewer penalties, but another infringement at the breakdown saw Horrocks put Pembroke further ahead. Both sides were firing on all cylinders now, the Teddy Hall backline finally functioning fully, but neither side seemed to able to convert pressure into points as the tackles came in hard and fast.

Hall seemed to be gaining the upper hand in the war of attrition and won successive scrums against the head to put themselves in great field position on the five metre and allow number eight Charlie Southern to go over for the try. Sparked by this score both sides upped their game producing the best rugby of the match thus far, Pembroke’s dominance long past as both sides matched each other man for man. Hall, playing to their strength, adopted a narrow game plan, keeping it in the forwards and once again pushing into towards the line and the pressure on Pembroke only increased when they had a player sin-binned for dragging the scrum half into a ruck.

A man down in the final stages of the game Pembroke produced some monumental try line defence to keep Hall from crossing , time after time driving them back, both sides providing a fitting finale. Finally Pembroke won a turnover and only had to put the ball out of play to secure victory. Yet the unthinkable happened as a cruel gust of wind caused the ball to drift infield.

Slick Hall hands moved the ball across the backline to replacement wing John Waldron who eluded the stretched and tired Pembroke defence to score in the corner. To add insult to injury Stephens kicked the tricky conversion and the final whistle blew bringing an end to a great contest. Pembroke can take a lot from their performance but Hall’s tenacity separated the teams in the end.