Chain Reaction: Tears For Fears

Tears For Fears’ 1995 album, Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, could have been made for Donnie Darko. Its lilting melodies and bittersweet poetry are no less poignant than Mad World and no less nostalgic than Head Over Heels.

It is clear that Tears For Fears’ music in Donnie Darko had a massive impact on their career. Their previous release had been a best-of in 2001, with the last new work released in 1995. Curt Smith had left the band in 1990 and Roland Orzabal officially retired in 1996.

Basically, TFF was dead, and fans grieved. After Gary Jules released the single of Mad World, however, their old albums began flying off the shelf and they reunited to release an album, following it with a triumphant world tour.

Donnie Darko was riding the tip of the crest of a wave of 1980’s revival. Suddenly, enough time had passed for the 80’s to be cool again and TFF specifically were highlighted. They did not need the film to make them into a success, unlike Jules, they were already a success.

Donnie Darko merely reminded the public of the wonder and beauty of the best of a past era, complete with nostalgic images. Finally, there was more than one TFF song used, ‘Head Over Heels’ featuring in one of the most important sequences of the film.

So, the conclusion is clear. The career of Tears For Fears was thankfullly resurrected by the influence of the film: both are examples of popular culture reachimg the sublime.