Exquisite Sheldonian ceiling back in place

The Sheldonian Theatre ceiling has been repaired following four years of restoration work.

The 32 ceiling panels of the theatre had been temporarily removed in 2004 to allow essential repairs to the historic building. It was then discovered that the panels were also in need of work.

Restoration work on the ceiling was completed in summer 2008, and the project to put the panels back in place commenced at the beginning of this year.

Created by King Charles II’s court painter Robert Streater, the ceiling depicts a personification of Truth descending upon the Arts and Sciences to expel ignorance, rapine and envy from the University.

The University’s chairman of curators, Jeffrey Hackney, admitted to having “always hated this ceiling – so much so that when they took it down and we had sackcloth instead, I thought it greatly preferable”.

After the restoration of the ceiling, however, Hackney has come to regard it in a new light. He said, “I have recanted. Now I see it in its true colours, I have changed my mind completely”.

“I think there will be much drawing of breath”, he said, “when people see the restored ceiling for the first time”.

The ceiling had to be repainted many times before its most recent restoration.

According to conservation workers, It suffered from centuries of leaks, as well as the rubbish left by generations of builders. Amongst the rubble, however, there were some unexpected discoveries.

Workmen found two time capsules, one containing an old pair of trousers and a note from their owner.

“Hope you enjoy yourself when you have found this valuable treasure,” read the message, “I expect I will have fed the worms by then.”