Wadham push Trinity/LMH to the end

TRINITY/LMH 24 
WADHAM 17

Both sides had a point to prove coming into this season opener. This was especially true for Trinity/LMH, who have come down from the first division without having won a game. Wadham meanwhile were keen to prove that they could cut it against tougher opposition, but were unfortunate to be missing many of the starting lineup that had won them promotion. Nevertheless, this proved to be a spirited display of end-to-end rugby, which though scrappy at times made it clear that both sides will be competitive in this division.

Wadham’s lack of game-time together became quickly apparent as they allowed Trinity/LMH to take the initiative from the kick-off, openside flanker Doug Riddle making an early impression with a deep run into the Wadham half setting up the first scrum of the match. The superior power and experience of Trnity/LMH’s pack was immediately obvious as Wadham under pressure gave away an early penalty for feeding. Trinity/LMH opted for the corner, hoping to turn this early pressure into points. Eventually, over-exuberance at the breakdown set up a scrum from which the forwards drove towards the line, prop Ben Murray finally bowling over for the score. Back in the Wadham half, Trinity/LMH were penalised for not releasing, allowing the Wadham backline to show its potential by taking the penalty quickly. This enabled them to push into the Trinity/LMH half for the first time, only to be penalised for being offside. The pattern of the game established itself early, both sides producing promising passages of play only to knock on or concede penalties.

Sloppy hands in the Trinity/LMH backline gave Wadham a break as centre Will Spencer pounced on the ball to run in an easy try under the posts. The conversion was slotted by Wadham fly-half Harry Mayhew to put Wadham in the lead against the run of play.

Trinity/LMH responded with pressure straight from the restart to retain possession, building the phases and securing a five metre scrum. The dominant Trinity/LMH pack would not be denied, eventually driving forward number eight Will Mackintosh to touchdown. Wadham responded immediately (their teething problems a thing of the past) working the ball downfield and setting up good field position to release their backline and allow winger Dave Roberts to score in the corner.

The game had become a real contest, but Wadham’s discipline continued to let them down, ultimately gifting Trinity/LMH another scrum on the five metre which was once again driven over for a try.

A colossal hit from Trinity/LMH flanker Adam Barker late in the first half had injured one of the beleaguered Wadham front row who was now forced to leave the field. This forced uncontested scrums, but did little to tame the aggression of the second half, inhuman tackling from Wadham scrum half Josh Venner setting the tone. But Wadham’s indiscipline continued – the dubious legality of much of number eight Thomas Pascoe’s play particularly notable.

After winning a lineout Trinity/LMH were awarded a further penalty after the maul was illegally collapsed by an ELV-unused Wadham pack. The penalty was taken quickly, the ball driven over the line and the try awarded although clearly held up.

Incensed by this decision Wadham found another gear, a savage hit from replacement centre Dieter Iveson winning a penalty which was quickly taken by winger Michael Tam. And Wadham persevered – from a quick tap penalty they worked the ball through the hands to finally score through fullback Toby Mullins, putting Wadham within a converted try. Minutes later though, Trinity/LMH had the chance to put the game away with a penalty kick, but the ball skewed wide resulting in a frantic final ten minutes. Ultimately, however, Wadham were unable to keep the ball, and paid the price for their lack of self control, allowing Trinity/LMH to see out the game with confidence.