Union invites porn baron to speak

The porn mogul responsible for magazines such as ‘Hustler’ and ‘Barely Legal’ is to speak at the Oxford Union.

However, the inclusion of Larry Flynt in the society’s Hilary termcard has caused controversy. Women’s groups have previously accused Mr Flynt of exploitation.

His eponymous publishing house produces hardcore pornography and adult films, in addition to operating a chain of strip clubs.

The choice of Flynt also comes after accusations that the Union was “dumbing down” its choice of speakers and relying too heavily on celebrities – at the expense of intellectual heavyweights. The Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa and Winston Churchill have previously visited the society.

One female first year student said, “we’re sending out the wrong message by inviting a sexist, exploitative person. He’s a symbol that women should stand against.”

But OUSU Vice President for Women, Rachel Cummings, refused to comment on Mr. Flynt’s invitation, citing her organisation’s ties to the Union.
President of the Oxford Union, Charlie Holt, defended the decision to invite Flynt, saying that he “has led a fascinating life, and one that the Union believes will be of interest to its members.”

“Whatever your views on the questions of pornography, public decency laws and censorship, the talk should be an interesting one.”

This view was supported by Union member Ross Evans, who argued that “it’s fair to give anyone a chance to speak at the Union and to give them the chance to support their views.”

Flynt has always courted publicity for his enterprises and as a campaigner for freedom of speech.

He recently applied to the U.S. government for financial aid to bailout the pornography industry during the credit crunch and hired a Sarah Palin look-alike for a pornographic film entitled Who’s Nailin’ Palin. His battles against censorship were dramatised in the Hollywood film The People vs. Larry Flynt.

He was first prosecuted on obscenity and organized crime charges in 1976 by a local anti-pornography committee. He was sentenced to seven to 25 years, although only served six days as the sentence was overturned on a technicality. He has recently sued his two nephews, Jimmy and Dustin Flynt, for producing what he considers inferior pornography and threatening to damage his reputation.