First Night Review: tick…tick…Boom!

I have to be honest, when I first heard of this show – a musical plucked from the study of Jonathon Larson, composer of RENT; collated, edited and produced posthumously; telling the story (his own life story) of the life of a struggling Broadway composer – I was sceptical. After all, it sounds un-relatable: raise your hand if you’re a struggling Broadway composer… exactly. But from the start of this production it is clear that here is a story that is human and real. Jon is a normal guy, trying to live his dream against all odds, in spite of his fears. The problem is that you’re only young for so long, and Jon can feel the time ticking.

Powerfully taking the lead in this show is Hansel Tan. Larson has provided a demanding rock score, and Tan is more than up to the challenge vocally. His talent as an actor also means that the single monologue concept which the show employs makes the audience feel like a trusted confident; truly part of the lives of the characters.

The other cast members of this three header are equally brilliant, and it is rare to be treated to such talent (this is a professional cast). Edward Blagrove gives a fantastic performance as John’s best friend Michael. His characterisation struck me with realism and he had me crying with laughter during ‘No More’, a song demonstrating Michael’s new found pleasure with the finer things in life. Tan and Bonnie Hurst (Susan) provided additional comedy in the accurately observed ‘Therapy’ , a tense phone conversation portraying their strained relationship. Hurst deserves special mention in her own right for a beautiful performance, again bringing both sincerity and comedy to the show and skilfully handling all her character changes.

In summary this is a show with something for everyone to enjoy. If you love musical theatre, you will not be disappointed. If I had to make a criticism I would say that some of the songs are a little weak on the compositional side, but the strength of the cast and production meant I hardly noticed. The rock musical score makes it feel relevant to real life, and there are some beautifully subtle Sondheim references (and some not so subtle). I can safely say that this is the best show I’ve seen in Oxford- which means that if Musical Theatre isn’t necessarily your thing, the onstage talent, professional band, catchy tunes, and sensitive direction will make this a thoroughly enjoyable night out.
I shall be going to see tick, tick… BOOM! again. I’ll see you there.

five stars out of five

OFS STUDIO, 2-6 June, 7.30pm