Oxford banker falls to death

A 24-year-old City banker and Oxford graduate fell to his death last week as he jumped from the rooftop of a restaurant in London.

Last Sunday, Anjool ‘Jools’ Malde climbed over the railing of the rooftop of the restaurant Coq d’Argent and fell down 80 feet to his death. He was wearing a Hugo Boss suit and held a glass of champagne. The police are not treating his death as suspicious.

Malde, who read Geography at St. Peter’s College, led a vibrant life at Oxford. He was Cherwell’s Business Manager and an Online News Editor. He regularly contributed news stories to both The Oxford Student and Cherwell, during and after his time at the University.

Jools was also on the Standing Committee of the Oxford Union, was involved with the Oxford Entrepreneurs society and worked as a radio presenter for BBC Oxford, for which he interviewed Geri Halliwell. He also moderated the Oxford Gossip website during his time as an undergraduate.

Beyond Oxford, Jools moved into the financial and entrepreneurial world. He worked as a stockbroker for Deutsche Bank, and co-founded AlphaParties, a firm organising club nights in London. Due to have celebrated his 25th birthday last week, Jools split his time between his homes in London and Spain, often describing his life as “living the dream.”

His death came as a shock to those who knew him, with friends quietly flooding the internet with their thoughts and prayers for his family.

His old friend Matt Richardson, who set up OxGoss, called Jools “an exceptionally talented young man.”

“He was a true polymath and he’ll be greatly missed; he was genuinely a tremendous part of everybody’s life”, he added.

“He was clearly very ambitious, but very friendly,” confessed a colleague of Malde to The Sunday Times.

“He’s been portrayed as a party animal, but that doesn’t do him justice. He was a man of integrity, a good guy.”

Naina and Bharat Malde, Anjool’s parents, said they were “devastated” by the death.

A joint statement they issued read, “We are absolutely devastated. Equally we are so touched by the warm words from his many, many friends that alluded both to his tremendous talent and positive, lively spirit. He was an inspiration to so many. He meant everything to us.

“Apparently he donned a Hugo Boss suit with matching designer accessories, treated himself to a glass of champagne at the much frequented, upmarket City restaurant Coq d’Argent, and jumped from an eighth-floor rooftop. Style meant everything to him and that’s how he chose his exit.”