The graduate gap

The scientific community has known for years that we are facing a severe shortage of science graduates. If Britain is to keep up with the rest of the world, we need to increase the number of young people entering into industry and research – some estimate that we need to as much as double our output by 2014.

With science courses shutting down all over the country, and 25% of secondary schools teaching physics without a specialist teacher, it is no surprise that many are worried that research companies will start taking their business elsewhere. A surprise move from the Government to open up 10,000 new University places solely for maths and science students seems like a good idea – but is it all it seems?

As the recession drives down house prices, and forces businesses to shut up shop, it is having another, less obvious effect on the education sector. Thousands of worried students – both A-level and recent graduates – have chosen to try and sit out the recession by applying for university courses. This year, applications for undergraduate courses have risen by 10%, as more and more people come around to the idea that staying in education may be the best way to avoid a difficult job hunt.

At first glance, this might seem like the silver lining to the otherwise stormy cloud of the recession. After all, surely a better qualified population can only mean good things for the country’s future, right? Until Autumn, the Government agreed: after all, it aims to get 50% of all school leavers heading into higher education. However, when the figures were examined, it rapidly became apparent that the number of students qualifying for a full maintenance grant had been severely underestimated, leaving a hole of £200 million in the budget. The Government’s response to this was to limit the number of places that Universities could make available this year.

Soon however, a new problem arose. Estimates started to put the number of students who wouldn’t be able to get a place at University at all at 50000. Under increasing pressure from students and Universities alike, the Government has recently announced plans to provide 10,000 extra places – but with a catch: they will only be allocated to maths and science courses.

In theory, this move should be good for the country: and it seems to be working. The number of people applying for maths degrees has risen by 11%, this year, and applications for mechanical engineering is up by 19%. So far so good – but there is a slightly worrying side to this announcement.

Gordon Brown has told the Universities that the Government will provide the 10,000 students with tuition fee loans (as well as maintenance loans and grants), but that’s it. Normally, Universities get £6739 per student for those enrolled on a lab-based or engineering course on top of tuition fees, to pay for equipment and tutors. But if Universities are to offer these extra places, then they are effectively accepting a funding cut – the first in many years.

This seems to be typical of the Government’s general approach to science education. With secondary school curricula stripped down to the bare bones to make science “more interesting”, and several physics A-levels teaching very dubious oversimplifications so that those without maths A-level can understand it, it is no wonder that we don’t have enough scientists. The Government’s attempt to open up more science degree places has its heart in the right place, but without proper funding, Universities cannot be expected to offer tuition that competes with international institutions.

There is no doubt that we need to seriously need to look at the way that science is taught and promoted in this country. But the Government needs to realise that if it wants to have a workforce of qualified scientists, it has to invest in in its students first. It is no good having a generation of graduates that missed out on vital knowledge simply because there wasn’t enough funding to buy the right equipment. At the end of the day, the Government cannot half-heartedly commit to training its scientists: if it doesn’t want Britain to fall behind, it’s all or nothing.