OUSU elections race starts

OUSU annual election nominations officially closed yesterday, marking the start of the race for election in 6th week . Candidates’ names are released later on Friday, when the process launches into full swing with hustings and campaigning consolidating support around the main candidates.

Sources say that there are two main candidates running for the main President position, each one on a slate with two sabbatical officers and several part-time officers.
Stefan Baskerville, current OUSU President, is encouraging students to get involved. “Engaging with the process is crucial in making sure it leads to the best outcome. Students should read candidates’ manifestos, attend a hustings, and make an informed choice about who they want to lead their student union.”

Hustings will be taking place all over Oxford in the coming week, mainly in JCRs, but there will also be a central hust held before the meeting of the University Council on Tuesday. They are a chance for students to find out what the candidates and their slates have got to offer. The voting will take place in the sixth week.

The candidates are also subject to strict rules. Each sabbatical candidate is allowed to spend only £130 on the campaign, whilst an executive position has an allowance of £50. No candidate, agent or activist may use their facebook profile picture or status to advertise voting intentions. They are not allowed to be interviewed by student media without the approval of the returning officer.

Baskerville reflected on the race last year, “The candidates can expect a real rollercoaster of highs and lows, involving bursts of adrenaline and significant sleep deprivation. It’s all worth it in the end though.”
OUSU is designed to represent Oxford students to the University, national government and the wider world and to provide student advice and support. But, Oxford’s collegiate system and the set-up of our JCRs have lead to some questioning the point of a central organising body.
“I don’t really know very much about OUSU. If I had a problem, my first port of call would be people at college”, said Matthew Hutchison, a fresher at St Anne’s.

Aside from providing free condoms and organising Freshers’ Fair, many find it difficult to pick out what OUSU does that benefits them. Last year’s election turn-out was only 16% of the total student body, implying that the majority of students simply aren’t that interested.
“At the moment OUSU isn’t seen as being as important as it should be. We need greater confidence and authority in positions, which will in turn result in greater weight with the university itself”, said David Merlin-Jones, OUSU representative for Exeter College.

Many describe OUSU as having an “image problem,” rather than being ineffective. Indeed, not all students are disillusioned with the institution, as Adam Gibbs, Wadham fresher and new SU Vice President, said, “I think it is vital to have an organisation like OUSU and I would consider running for an OUSU position where I can really make a difference.”

Baskerville confirmed that he would be happy to offer handshaking lessons to this year’s candidates, though was careful to add, “All candidates will have to have equal time.”

OUSU elections have historically suffered from a low turn-out. Now, it’s up to this year’s candidates to convince students that through OUSU they can bring about tangible and worthwhile benefits to the student body.