Review: The School for Scandal

First performed in 1777, Sheridan’s comedy of manners is as relevant within the context of today’s celebrity culture of gossip magazines and racy tabloids as it is when set in the parlours of its original period, giving the audience a wonderfully humorous insight into the predecessors of OK! and Closer magazines. The essence of the play invites criticism of society’s love of scandal and this is well portrayed in this production.

Will Spray is brilliant as Sir Peter, an aging bachelor who has recently married under the impression he was assuring his happiness by tying the knot with a young, innocent girl from the country, and who is now doubting his wisdom in marrying at all. His wife, Lady Teazle, drives him to distraction in her frivolous quest for acceptance within the fashionable circle. The audience is drawn in during Sir Peter’s soliloquy and shares his embarrassment at the actions of his wife and the fact that, despite all her faults, he is still charmed by her. His interaction with Sir Oliver and Rowley evokes a superb sense of an ‘old boys club’ and the vast, encompassing statements on the topic of marriage provide humour throughout.

Nevertheless, this is not a production without flaws. The duo of Crabtree and Backbite seem to do little more than raise the volume level on stage by about 20 decibels while making stilted, flamboyant motions. On the whole, however, even this serves to illicit a little grin from an audience. Overall the supporting cast are solid; I particularly enjoyed Hannah Ilett’s Mrs Candour, who struck just the right tone of warmth to her gossipy tirade.

Generally speaking, this production left me wishing desperately that the director had sought to find some way to vary this performance from the masses of previous productions of Sheridan. However, I can definitely recommend it as an enjoyable way to peruse through an evening and temporarily sate the frustrated English student of every friendship group.

Three stars