Review: The Philanthropist

The Philanthropist opens with a familiar scene. A jittery John (Tom Moyser) is interrogated by his two straight-faced tutors, with a startling conclusion that makes those apocryphal horror stories of the infamous ‘Oxbridge interview’ sound like child’s play. Indeed, there is something playfully close to home about this satirical portrayal of the insular academic life of the pretentious and decadent literary set.

Perhaps this is what turns a script that could potentially have been arcane and difficult – Christopher Hampton’s play being both a self-professed ‘bourgeois comedy’ and a response to a seventeenth century comedy of manners – into a thoroughly enjoyable and accessible play, though no doubt the very quality of performances, writing and comedy also have their roles to play.

If it all sounds a bit serious, it isn’t. This is a play that balances cruel wit and black humour, with prodding satire and situation comedy. Jonathon Swinard is outstanding as the fumbling, socially inept professor of Philology Philip, while Dave Ralf is brilliantly detestable as the gaudy author Braham, though it could be said that his performance is more convincing during his high-flown rambles than his angry outbursts. Sam Buchdahl’s subtle portrayal of the despondent Don is also a highlight. It has to be said though that this is a play that thrives on the dynamics of the group – the banter is fast, fluid and punning – and no one seems to let the side down. Perhaps the staging could have been more imaginative, though the energy of the cast does compensate for this.

Overall, this is a very mature, funny and professional adaptation of a very suave play. Whether your interests lie in sex, scandal or social commentary, his play has it all and is well worth going to see.

Four Stars

The Philanthropist is on at the Burton Taylor Studio, 5th Week, Tuesday to Saturday, 7.30pm