The Pro: Amy Ellis-Thompson

It is said that every person has the right to choose which path they take through life. For Amy Ellis-Thompson, she has chosen to take “The Way of Gentleness.”

Ellis-Thompson, a black belt and soon to be a Blue in Judo, wants to alter the common perception of a sport that requires the same level of dedication, training and fitness as any other. Training four to five times a week not only reflects her dedication but underlines her love for a sport which she first embraced at the age of 10. A first-year at St. Peter’s, she is one of only a few undergraduates in what is a group predominantly made up of post-graduates, students from Oxford Brookes and the city. Furthermore, she is unique in being the only member of the team to study a humanity – English – while the rest of the side, interestingly, specialise in science-based subjects.

It is clear to see that Ellis-Thompson has embraced the principles laid down by the founding father of Judo, Jigoro Kano: that of a means for governing and improving oneself physically, mentally, emotionally and morally. The world of Judo has not only given her a renewed sense of determination but confidence which stems from the fantastic support base around her. The Oxford Judo Club was nominated for Club of the Year in 2008, she cites the “great team atmosphere” that holds the team together as a crucial factor in helping to instil a belief in each and every fighter – a belief which they can take with them to every fight.

Ellis-Thompson begrudgingly admits that Judo does not sustain a high profile in England like it does in a host of other European countries. When reflecting upon her recent participation in a Judo event staged in Paris, she talks of “the great atmosphere” and the thrill of competing in front of hundreds of people who have found a great deal of affection for this sport. It may have been a nerve-racking experience for her but one which will live long in her memory.

As for the immediate future, her focus is very much on the Varsity Match on 27th February in the Oxford Town Hall, a competition which Oxford has won for a remarkable eight years on the trot. With passionate people like Ellis-Thompson in the world of Judo, the sport can only be heading in a positive direction and if she sticks by her pledge to “do it as long as I’m a pensioner,” we’ll be sure to hear a lot more about her in years to come.