First Night Review: Samson Agonistes

Ed White’s decision to take on a play not meant for performance may seem like madness but the final success of this promenade-style production in the Merton College Chapel shows it can be done.

Bevil Luck plays Samson with skill and sympathy, connecting well with the audience despite the fact he is blindfolded for most of the play. From his very first speech, yards away from the huddled audience, Luck was able to expose the vulnerability of a defeated hero without the embellishments of stage, set, props and other performers. Tim Smith-Laing was also particularly strong as Manoa, although the change between his first words to Samson and his compassion for him in the rest of the play was perhaps a little sudden.

Victoria Princewill’s Dalila was at times surprisingly sympathetic, given the powerful condemnation she receives from Samson. Her movements could feel a little forced in the scene when she visited Samson but this was due more to the questionable direction than wooden acting. Using the chorus as a shifting wall between the estranged couple was a good idea, but in practice didn’t quite work – it occasionally damaged visibility and was a little distracting.

This was a pity since the rest of the staging proved highly effective. The different areas of the chapel provided ‘sets’ in themselves and were well-selected at every point. The scene with Harapha (James Lowe) on the balcony was particularly well done – it gave the impression of his gigantic height but also allowed Samson to spend most of his time between the supporting pillars, suggesting captivity but also foreshadowing the means of his eventual victory.

The atmospheric use of the chapel, perhaps the strongest area of the production, was added to by well-judged use of lighting and sound. As the audience walked with the actors, we were drawn in and out of light and shadows, making us feel deeply involved in Samson’s despair. As with any promenade production, there was a tendency to feel a little shepherded but music aided what could have been rather awkward transitions.

This production is powerful because it is unlike anything else you could go to see on the Oxford stage this week. The choice of play is ambitious, the setting inspired and the execution strong. Ed White’s direction brings Milton’s words to life with great success, displaying great sensitivity to the text itself.

4 stars

Samson Agonistes is in the Merton College Chapel, 24-27 Feb, 8.15pm