Top 10: Drama Finalists

It’s a sad time of year for one third of Oxford’s thesps. They’ve been buried in the library for a term already – and the ordeal isn’t half finished yet. By way of a break, some have already braved the first round of drama school auditions; a few, a happy few, will reach the second. That’s right, ladies and gentlemen: I’m referring to our beleaguered finalists. As a tribute to these poor souls, going from stage to page in a sort of reverse New Writing Festival, we’ve picked out ten likely stars of the future. In no particular order –

1. Matt Maltby: if his performance in The Bacchae was anything to go by, the OxStu‘s drama editor is actually a rather good actor – or else just naturally sinister. But that’s not why he’ll be famous. No – I think we’ve found this great hack-tor’s true vocation: Liberal Democrat Shadow Minister for Culture. Look out for him on your TV screens in 2025.

2. Chelsea Walker: last year’s OUDS president, Walker seems to have a promising future ahead as a director. This is absolutely terrible news for anyone with a sensitive disposition, but great for the rest of us, who can look forward to seeing her violent, twisted and disturbing creations on stage for years to come.

3. Jacob Lloyd: best known for playing Henry V in last year’s OUDS International Tour, Lloyd has won praise from all quarters for his intense performances, most recently in Roland-Singer Kingsmith’s Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me.

4. Will Maynard: renowned for grinding down his actors with insane rehearsal demands, Maynard struck gold last year with Don Carlos. Sceptics may doubt his almost paranormal approach to rehearsal, but few can doubt his results.

5. Rosie Frascona: faces a huge anticlimax if she makes it into the RSC, because she seems to have played every conceivable Shakespearean lead already. Audiences, however, will be delighted with her fiery and individual yet charming performances.

6. Ed Chalk: being called “better than Derek Jacobi” in this very paper last year may not have done his ego any good, but at his best, this actor is always worth watching.

7. Krishna Omkar: this ever-smiling actor, director and producer has been bringing all things quaint and old-fashioned to Oxford for a while now, with endless Oscar Wilde and Shakespeare productions. Looking to capitalise on the success of last year’s The Importance of Being Earnest, he will be going to London again this year with An Ideal Husband.

8. Lindsay Dukes: a talented actress who’s known for her ability to play Shakespearean leads and modern understated roles with equal ease. In Oxford, she’ll be remembered for last year’s Much Ado About Nothing.

9. Ellen Davnall: this text-driven director is never afraid to experiment. Her production of Macbeth, in which the actors surrounded the audience from all sides, raised a few eyebrows – but there’s no stopping her boundless creativity.

10. Thea Warren: a less familiar figure on the Oxford stage, Warren will be best remembered for her role as Agave in Asia Osborne’s production of Euripides’ Bacchae. Less known, but no less talented – if she does go into acting professionally, she has a bright future ahead of her.