They think it’s all over

So this is the last time you will be treated to the wonders of Cherwell Sport for this term. We appreciate it will be hard to carry on without your weekly dose of banterous match reports, terrible puns and photos which have very little to do with the article they are printed alongside – but we can offer you a parting gift of two recommendations to keep your Oxford sporting life ticking over through the holidays.

The first of these is the Football Blues vs. United Nations XI taking place at Iffley Road this Saturday 27th October, kick off at 2 o’clock. The Staff Union of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia has created a social campaign group called Sporting Lives. The group aims to ‘focus on eradicating the stigma for people living with HIV/AIDS and playing sports.’ The UN team, including more nationalities than the current Arsenal squad (although apparently this side can hold onto a 2-0 half time lead…), will also be playing games against Cambridge University and a Parliamentary XI to highlight their fantastic cause. All support at this free event would be very welcome.

Our second recommendation is predictable. The 129th varsity rugby match takes place on Sunday 9th December at Twickenham, as the dark blues take on their Cambridge counterparts. The Blues have had a disappointing season, with defeats against all of the teams they have faced, but that will all be forgotten if they triumph in this game.

It promises to be entertaining and hard fought but even if it isn’t it’s a great chance to catch up with friends and get a bit drunk.

That’s all folks, hope to see you next term.