Corpus gets a royal respite

Students at Corpus Christi will join the rest of the country in getting the day off for the royal wedding, meaning that many will have to return earlier for Trinity collections.

Senior Tutor John Watts explained in an email to students that no collections would be held on Friday 29th April, the date set for William and Kate’s nuptials, “to allow loyal subjects to celebrate the royal wedding”. The date was declared a bank holiday after the couple announced their engagement in November.

Watts told Cherwell, “We were just mindful that it’s a public holiday and that, as a result, there won’t be any clerical or administrative staff around on Friday and Saturday when we would normally have held collections.

“We also thought students might have felt rather sore at having to sit exams when most people are enjoying the day off and some will be watching the celebrations.”

JCR President Jack Evans said, “Students don’t get many bank holidays in Oxford, so I’m sure that the JCR are going to celebrate appropriately. We have huge plans which are secret at the moment, but I can tell you that they will be tortoise-related.”

He explained that the JCR respect that the support staff are entitled to a bank holiday and that the tutors are unable to man the collections by themselves.

However, the news has not had a positive reception from all students. Upon discovery that he may have to cut short his Easter vacation to take exams, one Corpus PPE student, Sam Kelly, said, “Disgraceful. Yet another argument for republicanism.”