Oxford’s Best: Sandwich

Okay, so, in New York we have these things called Delis. They make sandwiches. Very little bread, much unfortunate salami and ambiguous cheese. Mayonnaise. I miss them. This may make me just a stupid foreigner but I love me a good Prêt sandwich. Reasonably priced sammies of seemingly untold variety. (Note the use of “sammie”) My favourite is the “Pole Line Caught Tuna Baguette” with cucumbers.  “Chicken Pesto Bloomer” is a strong second.  

Okay, so, in New York we have these things called Delis. They make sandwiches. Very little bread, much unfortunate salami and ambiguous cheese. Mayonnaise. I miss them.
This may make me just a stupid foreigner but I love me a good Prêt sandwich. Reasonably priced sammies of seemingly untold variety. (Note the use of “sammie.”) My favourite is the “Pole Line Caught Tuna Baguette” with cucumbers.  “Chicken Pesto Bloomer” is a strong second.  
Stay away from Nero and Starbuck’s sandwiches at all costs. Literally. They don’t taste great at all and they cost the same as a three-course meal. The caloric value is approximately equal to that too. The fact that they list these details on the packaging is just bad business. 
Brothers’ ciabatta specials are fab. They come with a little side salad, which apparently accounts for the extra three pounds. 
The price seems sadistic compared to Mortons’, their Covered Market neighbours. Mortons is dirt cheap and pretty tasty, but nothing special. However, quick and easy is all university students are really after, right?
I love anything with the Alternative Tuck Shop’s chicken pesto salad in it. Deep and passionate love.  Sit on the curb, almost-hit-by-a-testy-biker love. 
For those Jericho residents I’d opt for Bleroni Café. My housemates have conniptions over it. I have to say I can’t really understand why. They, like Mortons, have a lunch-box deal for just under four pounds but use nicer bread—poppy seeds on the baguettes and everything. I say go for the toasted chicken, cheddar and tomato sandwich. Plus the location and big windows are perfect for people watching. 
Just make sure there are no poppy seeds in your teeth when you casually smile at that hipster from the Rad-cam…

Stay away from Nero and Starbuck’s sandwiches at all costs. Literally. They don’t taste great at all and they cost the same as a three-course meal. The caloric value is approximately equal to that too. The fact that they list these details on the packaging is just bad business. Brothers’ ciabatta specials are fab. They come with a little side salad, which apparently accounts for the extra three pounds. The price seems sadistic compared to Mortons’, their Covered Market neighbours.

Mortons is dirt cheap and pretty tasty, but nothing special. However, quick and easy is all university students are really after, right? I love anything with the Alternative Tuck Shop’s chicken pesto salad in it. Deep and passionate love. Sit on the curb, almost-hit-by-a-testy-biker love. 

For those Jericho residents I’d opt for Bleroni Café. My housemates have conniptions over it. I have to say I can’t really understand why. They, like Mortons, have a lunch-box deal for just under four pounds but use nicer bread—poppy seeds on the baguettes and everything. I say go for the toasted chicken, cheddar and tomato sandwich. Plus the location and big windows are perfect for people watching. Just make sure there are no poppy seeds in your teeth when you casually smile at that hipster from the Rad Cam…