Review: Topshop’s ‘Urban Traveller’

Topshop’s Urban Traveller collection delivers their annual line in festival wear. It’s all just aching to be worn on a day where it’s not as hot as initially anticipated, with the conviction that it’s totally ok to wear a knitted oatmeal cabel hooded poncho at a festival despite the fact you will probably never wear it again (and are probably wise not to). The collection is a beautiful abuse of texture: a riot of aztec prints, tie dye, fringing, crochet, broderie anglaise, suede, denim, sequins and studs. 

Only a few of us can mash up patterns and textures with complete abandon, so in general this collection probably requires careful cherrypicking. This is also a great way to anticipate the summer or make festival looks outlive a few hazy weekends. So put animal print gap yah trousers with block colour tops, heavy fringing with structured denim, or a print tee with plain body con skirts.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%3362%%[/mm-hide-text]

This embroidered navaho print vest is my favourite piece in the collection. Its really graphic and modern and the slouchy shape is perfect to be worn over a bikini or slouchy, strappy maxi dress.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%3363%%[/mm-hide-text]

This vest top is cooler than cool. The edgy cut and interesting print are balanced out by overall ‘easy to wear’ factor. Wear with a bandeau top underneath or a brightly coloured bra – it’s all about the side boob right now.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%3360%%[/mm-hide-text]

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%3361%%[/mm-hide-text]

This collection is great for picking a few directional items that can be worn with things you already own and will give your wardrobe a little shove in the right direction. However, in my opinion some of the colours in Urban Traveller are a little dull and it could do better by letting in a peek of the block colour sweeping the fashion scene this season. ASOS also does a great festival look full of crop tops, teenie weenie hotpants and unusual headbands. River Island‘s equivalent comes off as a little bland and a bit dated; but has some pretty, hippy pieces.

Whatever you buy, wear with messy hair, little sleep and an appalling hangover.

See the complete collection online here.