Say your prayers for Theology degrees

Oxford is considering a proposal to reform the university’s Theology course to give students scope to study a wider range of religions.

The suggestion comes as a result of a 40 page review from the Faculty of Theology last year. The report recommends that the Faculty should “strongly consider” changing its name to Religious Studies in order to reflect the research interests of its academics and students.

It said that “the requirement for all students to study Old Testament, New Testament, ancient doctrine and modern doctrine is old-fashioned, and whilst Oxford has traditional strengths in these areas, the argument that it offers a distinctive programme is no longer  adequate.” Oxford has led the world in the study of the divine for more than 800 years.

Whilst some are supportive of the changes and believe them necessary to keep up with modern times, others have described them as a “suicide note”, believing that a Religious Studies faculty would quickly end up subsumed by History or Cultural Studies. It has been suggested by some academics that the university should offer an alternative course for those with an interest in the study of other religions.

The changes have caused some controversy among current Theology students. Tim Bateman at Regent’s Park said, “I think the Theology degree does accommodate for the needs of those who want to study other religions.

“If the course was changed, it would provide a wider spectrum of study. It would open up more options for a religiously diverse Britain. However… You might increase the breadth of study for undergraduates, but may compromise the depth of study for its specialised area, namely, Christian Theology.’

However, second year Evie Deavall said, “The change from Theology to Religious Studies is, of course, a better reflection of the religious state of the world at the moment. It is a testament to the way in which Oxford is willing to change according to what is relevant.”

In a public statement, Dr Paul Joyce, chair of the Theology Faculty, said, “Over the last 20 years, the curriculum has expanded to include the study of other faiths in addition to, and often comparatively with, Christianity. No decision to change the Faculty’s name to reflect that more diverse programme has yet been taken. Although the question is being discussed, it will not be resolved before the end of this academic year.

“An alternative might be to change the name of the Final Honour School of Theology rather than that of the Faculty itself, but at this stage this remains only one possibility. Oxford Theology continues to affirm its strong commitment to teaching and research in the areas core to its discipline: Biblical Studies, Doctrine, and Church History.’

No final decision is expected until October.