Where The Heart Is

With top flight Brazilian clubs accumulating more wealth due to increased levels of sponsorship money and the strengthening of the country’s economy, players excited by the prospect of reviving their careers and, for some, the very real possibility of still making the National Team squad for the FIFA World Cup Finals in 2014, it is little wonder that many players are gambling on a return to their homeland. Despite Brazil being recognised as the main exporter of young footballing talent in the world, this trend is slowly but surely reversing, as reimporting becomes the new exporting.

Mancini (Atlético Mineiro) 

It has been, by all accounts, a long fall from grace for the man who once graced Italy’s Serie A with a combination of dazzling skills and supreme technique. During his five year spell with Roma, the diminutive winger became an integral part of the team. Successive spells at both Milan clubs failed to bring any success, which consequently saw him join a struggling Atlético Mineiro team. He still has the capability to make a difference and is ably assisted in midfield by former CSKA Moscow player Dudu Cearense. Nonetheless, O Galo are battling against relegation this season.

Edmílson (Ceará)

At the age of 35, the former Olympique Lyonnais, FC Barcelona and 2002 FIFA World Cup winner is in the twilight years of his career. The decision to join the Fortaleza-based team has been seen by the Centre Back come Defensive Midfielder as an opportunity for him to pass on his great wealth of experience at all levels of the game to the younger generation of players at the club, which is in its second consecutive season in Brazil’s top flight following a 17 year absence. Former FC Barcelona teammate Juliano Beletti joined the club before later announcing his retirement.

Adriano (Corinthians)

Once the most potent striker in world football, a series of injuries, off the field problems including drinking and depression and persistent questions over his fitness have, most recently, blighted the 29 year old’s career. He was most formidable during his eight year spell at Internazionale, however he has since failed to reproduce any of that glittering form. A successful spell with Flamengo CF in 2009 has raised hopes of a possible return to form with Corinthians, albeit with the player himself admitting he’s 20% of his ideal physical condition. He’ll desperately be hoping to be involved in Corinthians title challenge.

Ronaldinho Gaúcho (Flamengo CF)

The return of a player, especially a highly coveted one, to South America is often said to be retrogressive, but for Ronaldinho the direct opposite has occurred. Despite losing his searing acceleration, which was undoubtedly his most potent weapon at FC Barcelona, the midfielder still has plenty to offer in terms of his intelligence and experience on the ball. His passing range and vision has already made a huge impact. A proven track record in Europe as well as consistently good performances under the stewardship of Vanderlei Luxemburgo has seen him return to A Seleção’s set-up.

Fred (Fluminense)

The marksman has had a huge influence since his return to Brazil in 2009. His goals to game ratio is excellent, averaging over one goal every two games. Since arriving at Tricolor Carioca the former Olympique Lyonnais striker has helped the Rio de Janeiro-based club escape relegation in his first season and then remarkably win the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A for the first time in 26 years last season. He has struck a good relationship upfront with former Internacional striker Rafael Sóbis, so much so that this season he’s currently the joint second goalscorer in Brazil’s top flight league.

Gilberto Silva (Grêmio)

How Arsène Wenger could have done with the defensive midfielder in recent seasons. The former FIFA World Cup Winning player spent six excellent years in North London before moving on to Greece with Panathinaikos. He ended his 11 year career in Europe by sealing a deal with the two time Campeonato Brasileiro Série A champions. With former Middlesbrough midfielder Fabio Rochemback and Fernando playing well in central midfield, the veteran is enjoying a new role in the team – as a central defender. He’ll be hoping his experience will count as Imortal chase qualification for next year’s Copa Libertadores.

Jô (Internacional)

The São Paulo born striker made his name in European Football following a terrific three years in Russia with CSKA Moscow. A big money move to Manchester City soon followed however he failed to establish himself at the newly named Etihad Stadium. A series of loan spells with European clubs brought little success and his move back to Brazil has been seen as an attempt at reviving his career. At the age of just 24, he still has time on his side and he’ll be hoping to forge a successful strike partnership alongside Internacional’s highly rated forward Leandro Damião.

Elano (Santos) 

During his six years in Europe the ex-Manchester City man became a more rounded and mature player and since his return to Brazil he has become, under Santos Head Coach Muricy Ramalho, the linchpin of the team. His authority on the pitch helped O Peixe win this year’s Campeonato Paulista, in which he finished as the tournament’s joint-leading marksman. There is always a cry in Brazil for domestically based players to represent A Seleção in some shape or form and the 30 year old midfielder has certainly grabbed his opportunity by cementing a place in Head Coach Mano Menezes’ squad.

Luís Fabiano (São Paulo) 

At one stage he was the most coveted marksman in European Football with a host of top clubs waiting in the wings to sign him. Therefore, his decision to move to the six time Campeonato Brasileiro Série A champions took many people by surprise. The striker has endured a slow start to his second stint at Tricolor, indeed he’s yet to find the back of the net. The optimistic hype surrounding his return has somewhat dampened however the former Brazil star has called for calm and patience as he continues to readjust to life in Brazilian Football.

Juninho Pernambucano (Vasco da Gama) 

Undoubtedly one of the all time great dead ball specialists, the 36 year old is enjoying a new lease of life at his former club with whom he won, amongst others, the Copa Libertadores in 1998. He collected 40 caps for the Brazilian National Team alongside amassing seven consecutive Ligue 1 titles during his eight year spell with Olympique Lyonnais. The attacking midfielder has already contributed four goals to the team who currently sit top of the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. With just seven games to go in an enthralling title race, Pernambucano’s creativity and experience will be vital.

Twitter: @aleksklosok