Director’s Blog – Noughts and Crosses Week Four

Rehearsals have begun but at the end of this week, I realise I need to crack on a bit harder with them: with fifty scenes to get through and only three full weeks left in which to rehearse them, the pressure is definitely on. However, I have been surprised at the speed at which the actors have gotten through scenes in rehearsal so far; I’m hoping we’ll continue at that pace without the need to rush through scenes just for the sake of going through them, leading to inadequate work on a scene. 

Thanks to my great producer, whose activities I can only compare to the Grimm’s fairytale of the Cobbler and the Elves, we’ve pretty much got all the funding we need and in terms of being fully-funded we’re nearly there. After going through what I can only describe as the Dragon’s Den version of OUDS with us pitching the play to the OUDS committee who are sitting behind desks- but with a friendly, helpful vibe instead of a scary, intimidating one- the need to get used to the venue is on my mind. The sooner we get to go in there to block scenes within the actual space, as well as figure out lighting and other technical stuff, the better. I’m looking forward to seeing Dead Funny, the production being performed there this week, as it will be interesting to see how they have made use of the performance space. 
My anxiety over ticket sales has not been alleviated- not even a little bit- as we need to sell a hefty amount of tickets in order to break even. So, where to begin? Facebook, of course: it’s only been a few days since I made the event on Facebook and there’s already a decent amount of people who have signed up to attend the event. I also created a website for the play which is going to have some videos and photos of the production on by the end of this week- well that’s what I’m telling myself anyway- which could entice more people. One of the videos is going to be in the classy style of ‘happy-a-la-slapping’, so just to say now to people that they should not be alarmed and that it’s not actually real- no actors were harmed in the making of this short clip. 

Thanks to my great producer, whose activities I can only compare to the Grimm’s fairytale of the Cobbler and the Elves, we’ve pretty much got all the funding we need and in terms of being fully funded we’re nearly there. After going through what I can only describe as the Dragon’s Den version of OUDS with us pitching the play to the OUDS committee who are sitting behind desks- but with a friendly, helpful vibe instead of a scary, intimidating one, the need to get used to the venue is on my mind. The sooner we get to go in there to block scenes within the actual space, as well as figure out lighting and other technical stuff, the better. I’m looking forward to seeing Dead Funny, the production being performed there this week, as it will be interesting to see how they have made use of the performance space. 

My anxiety over ticket sales has not been alleviated – not even a little bit – as we need to sell a hefty amount of tickets in order to break even. So, where to begin? Facebook, of course: it’s only been a few days since I made the event on Facebook and there’s already a decent amount of people who have signed up to attend the event. I also created a website for the play which is going to have some videos and photos of the production on by the end of this week- well that’s what I’m telling myself anyway- which could entice more people. One of the videos is going to be in the classy style of ‘happy-a-la-slapping’, so just to say now to people that they should not be alarmed and that it’s not actually real – no actors were harmed in the making of this short clip.