Get your knit on!

Comfort and fashion don’t necessarily go hand in hand, but if it is ever going to happen, winter is the time. Knitwear is an annual staple of our wardrobes, but it doesn’t have to be boring and shapeless. Done well, knitwear livens up a wardrobe. Rather than covering up your new dress, it can be the main player in an outfit, from a cable knit dress to a knitted coat and the obligatory knitted accessories.

This year variety is key. There isn’t one knitted style which dominates. The trend is chunky, layers, and above all clashing styles. To create a chunkier look buy your jumpers two sizes too big, head into the men’s section, raid your boyfriend’s wardrobe (or even steal a vintage aran jumper from your Dad) and you’ll be right on target. This winter is nonchalant and casual in its attitude to knitwear. Anything goes.

This is obvious in the clash of styles – Fair Isle patterns on cable knit jumpers, or for the brave heavy cardigans with fur necklines. However, the real clashes are done through DIY extreme layering. Put your polo neck under a Fair Isle jumper, and team a jumper dress with a thigh skimming cable knit cardigan, thick woolly tights, and a scarf to boot. Primark has a surprisingly good supply of oversized cardigans and knitted pieces, and you can’t go wrong with Topshop’s winter offerings.

There is fun to be had, and layering can be achieved in the simplest way by your accessories. Finish off your outfit with a swamping snood, bobble hat, mismatching gloves, or even some Fair Isle legwarmers. The more the merrier. This winter is big, brash, and beautiful.