Let’s talk POSH

POSH, which is transferring to Oxford in 7th week of Michaelmas from the Royal Court in London via the Fens has probably had the best marketing opportunity of any play in Oxford this term: two articles in the last week in national newspapers have plugged Laura Wade’s analysis of the suspiciously Bullingdonesque ‘Riot Club’. The director, Zu Quirke, was coy as to whether we will be able to spot any of the most famous Bullingdon members among the characters in this play, but has been brave enough to invite the Prime Minister, the Chancellor and the London Mayor along. So, who knows, if you head down to the Union in 7th week, you may be surrounded not just by your future leaders, who have apparently been very helpful, with Izzy Westbury keen on the idea from day one, but by your current ones too!

It seems that there will be something for all tastes in this production: a good story, black comedy-style, involving the trashing of a pub will entertain the drama lover, while the Unionista or general politics buff will be able to reflect on the questions posed about the ongoing dominance of public schoolboys in this University and in the Government, and do so while seated in what is simultaneously a great symbol of debate and a great symbol of privilege: the Union Debating Chamber.

Adding to the irony is the fact that Oxford drama is another area which suffers a certain amount of public school domination and Zu is not afraid to admit that the cast includes Old Etonians, Paulines and a selection of other people from schools with ‘names’, but also some from comprehensive backgrounds. Whether we should rejoice at this mixing or sigh at the fact that the presence of the two together is still a talking point in a company, this author cannot decide. If nothing else then, POSH is making us think: but Zu is quick to make clear that her mission is to entertain, to tell a story: it’s up to us to reflect, though she will certainly rejoice if people walk out of the Union discussing the issues.

POSH is an ensemble piece carried by the ten Riot Club boys, who range from freshers to finalists but are all experienced actors, and one senses that the bubbling energy that Zu exudes in our interview probably translates into a fairly manic experience for the cast in rehearsal, but it certainly seems like it will be worth it; and who knows, perhaps you’ll find yourself sitting with DC, Bojo or Oik.