Pembroke email hacker retracts job applications

Emails were sent from a Pembroke student’s computer this week cancelling job applications they had made.

The student’s unlocked room was accessed on Friday and Saturday, and the emails sent from their Nexus account, which had been left logged in. The student realised what had happened when he received an email from JP Morgan acknowledging the withdrawal of his application. However, all the emails sent to employers had been deleted from their sent and deleted mail folders.

The third year student, who lives in Pembroke’s GAB building on the other side of Folly Bridge, wished to remain anonymous since the investigation is still ongoing. It was, however, pointed out by other students that it was very unlikely that someone from outside Pembroke could have accessed the building without a swipe card, and still less known the location of the victim’s room and the jobs they had applied for.

Pembroke students expressed their shock that someone living in the building, which houses mainly third years, but also graduates and fourth years, would have sent the emails. Maurus Wuethrich, a third year engineer, commented, “I can’t think of anyone in my year who would’ve done such a thing.”

An email was sent to students by Pembroke’s Home Bursar, Dr. Bowyer, describing the incident as “very unpleasant.” He added, “It is possible – though I find it hard to imagine how – that the perpetrator thought of this as a prank; in which case that individual may wish to identify him/herself before the investigation progresses further.  Otherwise we will continue to investigate and, subject to the wishes of the victim, may opt to call in the police.”

The email also noted that detailed activity logs had been taken from the victim’s computer, which had been passed onto the Dean to “progress the investigation.” The Dean, Dr. Raphael Hauser, declined to comment further on the matter.

In a separate email to Pembroke students, Bowyer warned students to take care when returning to the GAB through the area of Preachers Lane and Friars Wharf. He said that there had been “several incidents this term already of students being or feeling threatened, intimidated or abused when making their way to/from the GAB.”

The email advised students to return via a different route and to avoid being alone at night.

Wuethrich, who lives in the GAB, said of the route that students have been warned about, “I personally haven’t felt intimidated, but I’m a guy. I could definitely understand why girls would.”

Wuethrich did, however, add that once when he was cycling through the estate a group of young men had jokingly asked for his bike.

Pembroke JCR President, Charlotte Hendy, told Cherwell, “Student safety is always high on the agenda at Pembroke. Both myself and the Home Bursar went to the City Centre Area Forum on Student Safety this week, and we aim to maintain links made there with the Council and other authorities to ensure the safety of our students.”