A post-card from Spain

Moschino is definitely a name with resonance, but the Italian fashion house has outdone itself with their upcoming spring/summer collection. The post-Hispanic statement they are proposing is flamboyant, edgy and some might say eccentric.

In their autumn/winter 2011-2012 collection, Moschino reinforced the concept of feminine emancipation by creatively redesigning some very masculine pieces and cuts (blazers, trench coats and even a full tuxedo) to fit the hourglass figure. For their irnext season they are taking this same idea even further, focussing on a more specific and extravagant concept.

Their main source of inspiration is a Spanish classic, the torero costume. They have broken it down and rebuilt it for the 21st century women. Spaniards call it ‘traje de luces’, or suit of lights, and that is exactly what Moschino has done. ‘La chaquetilla’ the short jacket, with shoulder reinforcements is intrinsic to the look. The cut is straight and firm, the jacket having a high waist and shortened sleeves. The level of detail is extraordinary, including very fine embroidery and beading; this is placed over a white shirt, and accessorised with big black silk ribbons around the neck. To keep it feminine, the bottom is either a pair of high-waisted, tight, black trousers or an incredibly short skirt showing the same level of detail. This look can be copied on the high street with boxy jackets, frilly shirts, or even ribbon and bow details. Already flowing blouses with bow detail can be found on the high street in stores such as the suitably Hispanic Zara.

When Moschino were not reinventing the bull-fighting costume, they were inspired by traditional Spanish dresses, taking in ‘gitano’ influences. Here we have floral models, with even leather tassels, frills. Thus the dresses in this collection are very feminine, passionate and essentially Spanish. Channel the free-spirited and very feminine flamenco dancer.

Moschino has chosen a strong and suitably noble palette for this collection, basing their creations either on a monochromatic base with golden details, or a bright yellow base with black embroidery. The accessories in use are bright and bold with stacked bracelets and huge jangling gold earrings, a very affordable way to get to terms with this trend.

Overall the whole collection seems like a postcard from Spain; as powerful as the matadors, and as energetic as a flamenco dancer. Spring for Moschino is bright, detailed, and glamorous to its golden core. It is passionately Spanish.