Eyes On The Prize

Can Santos successfully defend the trophy? How will Corinthians respond to last year’s shock early exit? Are Internacional capable of a repeat of 2010’s success? Will Flamengo CF put their off-field problems behind them? Can Vasco da Gama make the step up from the Copa Sudamericana? Are Fluminense genuine contenders?

Corinthians

Manager: Tite

Key Player: Liédson 

Last Season: First Round

South America’s equivalent of Chelsea and the UEFA Champions League. Despite numerous attempts, strong financial backing and an almost obsessive fascination with the competition, the 2011 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Champions are yet to win the trophy that has eluded them for such a long time. They will go into this year’s tournament intent on avenging their shock preliminary round exit to Colombian minnows Deportes Tolima last year. Timão have a strong spine running throughout the team in the form of goalkeeper Júlio César, defender Paulo André, midfielder Paulinho and striker Liédson. Tite has established a solid if not spectacular team and their success will, in part, rely on the creativity of attacking midfielder Alex.

Flamengo CF 

Manager: Joel Santana

Key Player: Vágner Love

Last Season: Did Not Qualify

Off the field politics will determine how far Rubro-Negro progress in this year’s tournament. After a 10-match winless run that derailed last season’s title bid combined with divisions within the camp, former South African manager Joel Santana was brought in to replace Vanderlei Luxemburgo. Whilst his emphasis will be putting defence first he’ll be hoping that Ronaldinho Gaúcho can capture the form that he showed in the first few months following his return to Brazil last year. Much expectation will be heaped on the shoulders of the January Transfer Window signing from CSKA Moscow Vágner Love, to supply the goals for a team that possesses a good deal of attacking quality.

Fluminense

Manager: Abel Braga

Key Player: Wellington Nem

Last Season: Round of 16

The Rio-based team last reached the final in 2008, losing out to Ecuador’s LDU Quito. Led by experienced manager Abel Braga, who won the Copa Libertadores in 2006 with Internacional, Tricolor’s chances of progressing far in this tournament will depend heavily on the form of their strikers Rafael Sóbis and, in particular, Fred. The former has impressed during his loan spell from the United Arab Emirates side Al Jazira, whilst the latter has been a constant source of goals since his move from Olympique Lyonnais in 2009. The two are well supported in attack by the vastly experienced Deco, the recently signed Thiago Neves and the talented left-footed attacking midfielder Wellington Nem.

Internacional

Manager: Dorival Júnior

Key Player: Leandro Damião

Last Season: Round of 16

Colorado’s scintillating attacking firepower, spearheaded by the highly-coveted 22-year-old striker Leandro Damião and supported by the influential Argentine quartet of captain Andrés D’Alessandro, who recently turned down a lucrative move to join Nicolas Anelka at Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua, recent arrival Jesus Dátolo from Espanyol, a previous winner of the competition with Boca Juniors in 2007, Mario Bolatti and Pablo Guiñazú, should more than make up for the sides defensive frailties. If Inter can keep their attacking options fit then there’s no reason why the Porto Alegre-based team can’t progress to the latter stages of the competition and maybe even win the famous trophy for the second time in as many years.

Santos

Manager: Muricy Ramalho

Key Player: Neymar

Last Season: Champions

Having overcome Uruguay’s Peñarol to win the competition last year and thus ending their 49 year drought, Peixe will be eagerly looking to repeat their success of twelve months ago. Whilst they look short in defence following the departure of defenders Alex Sandro and Danilo to FC Porto, their main strength lies in the midfield and striking departments. With midfielders Elano and Arouca shielding the defence, creative licence will be given to their No.10 Paulo Henrique Ganso who’s struggling to capture the form that caught the attention of the footballing world in 2010. Striker Borges will look to carry on from his sensational form in 2011 whilst Neymar will again be the team’s pivotal figure.

Vasco da Gama

Manager: Cristóvão Borges

Key Player: Dedé

Last Season: Did Not Qualify

Winners of the Copa do Brasil, semi-finalists in the Copa Sudamericana and runners-up in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série AGigante da Colina enjoyed a terrific 2011. Can they continue their success into 2012? Led from the back by the highly-rated centre-back Dedé who was influential in the team maintaining the best defensive records in Brazil, Borges’s team are notoriously hard to break down. Much of their creativity will rely on Juninho Pernambucano but questions remain as to whether he can maintain his fitness throughout the tournament. And whilst another cause for concern is that of the lack of depth in the squad, the team’s persistency and experience could well be priceless.

Twitter: @aleksklosok