Crime wave at Camera

A large number of phones have been stolen from the nightclub Camera in the last month. Since the 20th of January, the police have received reports of the theft of twenty-four mobiles from the club, with eleven thefts reported on 11th and 12th of January alone. 

Sgt Matthew Sulley, of the Oxford City Centre neighbourhood team, suggested that such high figures reflect the change in use of mobile phones in modern society. 

Sulley stated, “Phones have increased dramatically in functionality and value, making them very desirable for both a genuine end user, and a thief. People now use their devices far more than they did just a few years ago, whether it’s taking high resolution photographs, movie clips, chatting online or using social network sites.” 

The Sergeant also pointed out that people were particularly susceptible to thefts in bars and nightclubs and that thieves would target these occasions. He commented that such venues “are often busy, with people having let their guard down and enjoying themselves,” as well as pointing out that light levels were often low.

He advised those going out to pinlock their screens and note their phones IMEI number, as well as taking obvious steps such as reporting strange behaviour, keeping one’s phone on one’s person, and putting it out of sight when not in use. 

Sulley emphasised, “Mobile phone theft in the night-time economy is being actively targeted by Thames Valley Police in Oxford. We have made a number of significant arrests over the last few weeks and there are more to come. Our action has been helped greatly by Licensees and Door Supervisors taking a positive stance towards tackling this crime. The Oxford Pub and Club Watch is also supporting efforts to reduce the crime and catch the offenders.”

Both the management of Camera and Varsity Events, who run two club nights at Camera, declined to comment on the issue of mobile phone theft at the venue.

However one St Anne’s student told Cherwell that she had reported her phone stolen after a night out at Camera, saying, “It was really annoying as I’d only had my mobile for two weeks before this happened. I called Camera the next day but they hadn’t found it.”

She added, “I was lucky to just have  my phone stolen, since it was with my money and ID. This does seem to indicate that thieves are particularly targeting mobiles. Now I never take a bag when I go out, just in case.”

Esme Hicks, a second year at Univ, explained how difficult it is to find  your phone in a nightclub, after losing hers at Lola Lo. She commented, “It’s hard to know whether it’s been stolen or just lost but either way once it’s gone, it’s gone. The problem with clubs is that they’re so dark and crowded, plus there is often crap signal so you can’t even ring it.”

Sulley emphasising that students shouldn’t make excuses in these events. He said, “Due to phones being used so much, they are lost a lot more as well. If you have lost your phone, do not report it as stolen as this is fraud, and the police and insurance companies are taking action against fraudulent claims.”