We’re Kiehl-ing Over for Kiehl’s

Established as an old-world apothecary in New York over 150 years ago, cosmetics brand Kiehl’s focuses on creating effective, and high quality, skincare. Their primary concern is their use of ingredients, which continue to be inspired by their apothecary roots, and which are proudly displayed on the front of their packaging. Since its early New York days, the brand has gone global, with several stores already positioned around the UK, and plans for more to come. As a result of this expansion, Kiehl’s has gained a loyal following worldwide, as well as in New York, where it is viewed as something of an institution of the city, even having a day named after it (November 12th). Intrigued by its previous successes, and keen to learn more about this emerging brand in the UK, we set out to test some of their key products to see if we’d be converted….

Rachel tried:

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser (Now £15) – http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/cleansers/ultra-facial-cleanser.aspx 

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser makes some bold and enticing promises on its simple packaging, and I feel as though for my skin, it has really lived up to them. It is extremely gentle, and while it removes makeup, dirt and oil with great ease, it did not leave my skin feeling tight like some of the harsher cleansers I have used in the past. In fact, it actually left my face feeling softer and smoother than before I washed it! Although I would still recommend moisturising after using any cleanser, it is nice to feel as though you are not stripping your skin of its natural balance by using this product. Make sure you have plenty of water on your face and your hands to get a good lather going, and to wash the cleanser back off again, as residue can tend to build up on the sides of your face, as it does with most cleansers. A little extra rinsing is definitely worth it though, and overall, I am extremely impressed, and pleasantly surprised, by how gentle yet effective this cleanser seems to be. After testing the Original Ultra Facial Range, I can’t wait to try out Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Collection, which works to visibly reduce oil on skin.

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer (£17) – http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/moisturizers/ultra-facial-moisturizer-spf-15.aspx 

As the names might suggest, this moisturiser is the perfect companion to the Facial Cleanser. It is suitable for all skin types, and feels extremely gentle on the skin, even when used straight after exfoliation, and luxurious yet natural ingredients such as Apricot Kernel Oil and Beeswax leave your skin feeling well nourished. The moisturiser is absorbed into the skin in a matter of seconds, and doesn’t feel heavy or greasy in the slightest, while still being SPF 15. This makes it especially good for use in the morning as a smooth base for your make up.

Helen tried:

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Tinted Moisturizer (£20.50) – http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/color/ultra-facial-tinted-moisturizer-spf-15.aspx

Like countless other make-up enthusiasts out there I have long dreamed of a miracle tinted moisturiser that actually provides a decent amount of coverage for problem skin, whilst looking and feeling much lighter than a foundation. All previous candidates for this complexion-saving holy grail have left me disappointed. Not this time. This stuff, to put it frankly, is amazing. By building it up in thin layers, the coverage you can achieve with Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Tinted Moisturiser is astonishing. A light dusting of powder is still needed to stop skin becoming shiny, and I would use concealer to cover any large blemishes, but this tinted moisturiser more than holds its own on all but the very worst of skins and will stay put all day. With SPF 15 and ingredients including Chamomile and Royal Jelly, it’s no wonder my skin felt like it was being pampered. After a week of using this instead of my normal foundation my skin was in much better condition than before, since it was being nourished by my make-up every day instead of dried out! I got a lot of spontaneous compliments from friends on how good my skin looked. There is just one problem that’s stopping me from promoting this tinted moisturiser to the level of foundation replacement: even the lightest shade is too warm for me! More shades of this wonder product A.S.A.P, please, Kiehl’s!

Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 (£9.50) – http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/lip-care/lip-balm-1.aspx 

This might seem a bit expensive for a lip balm but if you want beautiful, soft lips overnight, this could be your go-to product. It felt lovely, and although it did take a while to sink in, once it did I could tell it was working hard to deeply moisturise. Apply last thing at night to chapped lips and wake up to be greeted with a smooth and supple pout. Considering how long the tube lasts, the high quality of this vitamin-infused lip balm makes it well worth the price. Added bonus: the mango-scented one smells really yummy!