Worcester best St Anne’s in 7th week scrap

On Friday of Seventh Week, a Blue-studded Worcester eleven overcame underdogs St Anne’s in this year’s Cuppers final. The match itself was a bit of a damp squib. Despite the evident quality in both sides the passes did not flow, and the game was rather characterised by aerial challenges and big tackles, fittingly decided by one of the most delightful shin-rollers Iffley Road has ever seen.

It was a shame that the game did not live up to the occasion. Anne’s, not used to such a stage, were out in force and in fine vocal fettle, belittling the normally vociferous Worcester fans by almost two-to-one. Conducted by a huge novelty beaver the Anne’s crowd belted out anthem after anthem, providing a cracking atmosphere for what transpired to be a dour game.
For the majority of the game it was difficult to see which team had strolled to the final and resided in the top echelon of college football and which had battled to Iffley Road on penalties, and were playing in the gloomy depths of the JCR Third tier. Worcester were fielding nine players that had represented the university, yet they were unable to string a series of passes together as Anne’s harried and harassed them in midfield. The first half was a non-event and at the break the score was unchanged, with neither side looking dangerous other than at the odd set piece.
So this continued until the hour mark. Anne’s defence, marshalled by Blue Rob Price, held defiantly firm, until one of Healey’s long throws finally made the difference. Tom Phelan found himself in a yard of space and shinned a half-cleared ball past the despairing Gardner. It was not a goal befitting of a cup final, but certainly summed up the quality of football on display, and sent the Worcester fans into raptures. It was also a personal triumph for Phelan, who had been on the receiving end of some of the more offensive chanting from the Mint Green Army.
The goal seemed to come too late for Anne’s who were unable to form any sort of response. In truth Worcester’s defence never looked uncomfortable throughout the final exchanges, and after a series of corners and long balls, the whistle went. Worcester had triumphed for the second year running, and the legions of Anne’s fans were momentarily silenced. 
As the trophy was presented the M.G.A. were left wondering what could have been were it not for the width of a shinpad, and Worcester were dreaming of a third successive triumph next year. It seems that they are already the team to beat for next year’s competition.