Text a question about LGBT for a cocktail

Exeter College LGBT Society hosted a cocktail evening on Wednesday with the aim of encouraging members of the college to discuss LGBT issues.

Students were encouraged to text a question and place a cocktail order. The answer to their LGBT-related issue was then delivered with a cocktail of their choice.

The event was held on Wednesday and follows in the footsteps of the Christian Union’s ‘Text a Toastie’ event, which is held every Monday and offers free toasted sandwiches to students who pose questions about the Christian faith.

The LGBT Society hopes that the ‘text a cocktail’ event will persuade students to consider any questions that they may have concerning the LGBT community.

The event has been warmly received by students in the college. One of the event organisers explained, “The response so far has been absolutely amazing. People are really excited about the cocktails and it will be a great way to get people thinking about LGBT issues and raise money for a worthwhile charity.”

He added, “Exeter College is a fantastic place for LGBT members. It is very welcoming, we have a prominent LGBT community. Hopefully we will be able to keep text a cocktail going for many weeks to come, and with the response so far this looks very likely!”

The response from the CU was equally positive. Emma Hodgson, a CU rep from Exeter, commented, “It’s good to have the opportunity to be well informed on big issues like this, and communication is a crucial element in uniting the college community. I’ll certainly be ordering a cocktail!”

Another student commented, “I think it is a great idea. Our LGBT reps are very welcoming to all, and this gives us an excuse to enjoy a cocktail with them.”

The event asked for a donation of £2 for each cocktail and the money raised will go towards the Helen & Douglas House charity, which provides hospice care for children and young adults.