Drag Race comes to Oxford

Oxford’s streets will see an influx of multicoloured flags and cross-dressing this Saturday as the second annual Drag Race takes place in the city centre. The event will be hosted by Oxford Pride, a non-profit organisation founded in 2002 which describes itself as “a celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender life in Oxfordshire”. Through sponsorship, the event aims to raise money and awareness for the local LGBT community.

This year’s event will see large numbers of people making their way through Oxford’s streets in drag. Meeting at midday at the Jolly Farmers, the race will begin at 1pm, progressing down Cornmarket Street and Queen Street, and will finish on Paradise Street.

An information booth will be set up outside the Westgate Centre all day, where information can be found on Oxford Pride and about the wider LGBT community in Oxford.

Rafe Jeune, the Chair of the Oxford Pride Group, stressed the community-centric and family-centric nature of the event. He commented, “I am looking forward to the celebration of what we have achieved as a community, and to bringing everyone in Oxford together. Not just LGBT people, but everybody. I think it is great when we see people bringing their families who are not necessarily LGBT, and everyone celebrates together.

“This is always a fun and colourful day that helps to raise awareness of the LGBT community in Oxford while raising much needed funds”.

Some students, however, seemed confused by the notion of a Drag Race. One New College undergraduate said, “I attended this event last year hoping to compare the skills on show with my carefully honed Need for Speed ability, only to find myself surprised by the nature of the event and lack of automobiles – madness!”

Another added, “The high heels were a definite mistake. Although they made my legs look great, it wasn’t worth the pain…or the blisters the next day!”