Jesus divided over women’s empowerment

Members of Jesus JCR met last night in an Extraordinary General Meeting to discuss the ‘Women’s Empowerment’ motion which has divided the college over the past week.

The meeting was called ahead of today’s online referendum to decide whether Jesus’ Welfare Officer will be mandated to hold an annual “event related to the topic of empowering women”.

One JCR member spoke of an atmosphere of “near hysteria” after the event.

The original motion, proposed by JCR President Thomas Rutland, was defeated on Monday night after falling short of the two-thirds majority required with 61% of JCR members voting for and 39% against.

Rutland then called a JCR referendum after being presented with a petition of 50 signatures. He explained that another EGM was called “in order to provide a forum for such discussion before the poll on Friday”.

The meeting took place in a packed JCR. Welfare Rep Sarah Clowrie spoke in favour of the motion, and finalist Alexandra Bassett spoke against on behalf of Danielle Zigner, the former JCR President. The discussion then passed to the floor.

The debate gradually moved away from the idea of women’s empowerment, which was largely supported, to the technicalities of the motion. Bassett, speaking against the proposals, suggested that the organisation of such an event should be mandated to a newly created ‘Women’s Rep’ on the Equal Opportunities committee, distinct from the Women’s Welfare Officer.

Welfare Fellow of Jesus College, Stuart White, addressed those at the meeting. He emphasised the need to preserve a culture of mutual respect, adding that there was a general concern amongst senior members of the College about “a culture of sexism” developing in the JCR.

Welfare Rep Sarah Clowrie told Cherwell, “I believe that the promotion of gender equality is an intrinsic part of the Women’s Welfare role, and this is already made clear in our constitution. This amendment would, if anything, help the women’s welfare officers to support members of the JCR.”

First year student Jodie Reindorf said, “Reactions got completely out of hand. I hate to see our JCR divided in this way.”

However, she explained that the EGM had been “very civilised” without the “slanging matches” she had been expecting.

Ella Woodhouse, the PR representative for OXWIP, speaking in a personal capacity, told Cherwell she agreed with the sentiment. However, she said, “Raising the issue in this way makes things worse for women rather than better as they are brought up to believe that they are inherently disadvantaged. If Jesus College is going to organise an empowerment event, it should be open to both genders.”

English and French student, Natasha Frost said, “If this motion fails, it will confirm the worst fears of many in college relating to male-female relationships in college.”

However, Rutland commented, “Jesus prides itself on its friendly reputation and regardless of the outcome I am sure that we’ll all be moving ahead together.”